cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I prepare my 7D for extreme cold temperatures (South Pole -40 F)

microhunter
Contributor

My son is taking my 7D with him on his attempt to be the first to bike to the South Pole.  What do I need to do to prepare the 7D for extreme cold?

35 REPLIES 35

cicopo
Elite

There was a similar question back when this forum went on line and I don't think any of us could offer much in advice nor find much using on line searches. I live in an area where temps can get down to -30C often in Jan or Feb & although we can shoot for short periods at those temps it's important to keep the camera from getting cold internally. Unless he will have a way to protect it from the extreme cold I doubt it will work once it gets below it's normal operating temp range (see your manual for that info). Once it gets real cold internally the shutter & aperture blades will require excessive power to operate & the camera will shut down & give an error code.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

microhunter
Contributor

Thank you.  Here is a answer I got from Canon

Thank you for contacting Canon product support regarding the use of the EOS 7D in freezing temperatures.

The normal working temperature of the camera is 32-104°F/0-40°C. When shooting in freezing temperatures, it is recommended that you keep the camera as warm as possible. Keeping it close using body heat or using the hand warming packets will help keep the camera at a usable temperature. Battery life is greatly affected by cold temperatures. The closer to the operating temperature you can keep the battery, the more shots you will be able to take. Taking extra battery packs will come in handy. When moving from a cold area to a warm area can cause condensation to occur. Securing the camera in a large ziploc back until it warms up to room temperature will help.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your EOS 7D. Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Rodney
Technical Support Representative

Honestly, if I was going to the South Pole, I'd take a good point and shoot. 

There's very little that you're going to gain by taking an SLR for that sort of work, and most of the benefit would require taking multiple lenses, which you're not going to do.  Invest in a good point and shoot, and keep it in your inside pocket.  That’s standard operating procedure for any electronics in a high altitude situation, I’d think the same goes for the Poles.

I shoot Colorado a lot, in the Winter! The best bet is extra batteries. And keep them in you pockets not a camera bag. I don't think the cold bothers the camera so much as it does the batteries. The plastic bag is a good idea, take several.

In the olden days my Canon F1 and F1n never stopped working. Even with ice on the body! Maybe get one and go old school. You know that stuff called....oh, let's see.........oh, film.Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

What is the best point and shoot camera for sub freezing condtions?  How would the mirror-less cameras do?

It is not the camera. It is the battery. If you have a 7D, a wonderful camera, btw, make it work. Otherwise you may as well use your cell phone.

I suppose you could argue a G15 will fit inside a pocket but so will a battery or two for a 7D!

Nix the mirroeless idea.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It would be very helpful to know just what the master plan is & how many forms of support he'll have along the way. It may also be useful to search for info about Ray Zahab's trek to the pole. I found at least 1 video about it but didn't watch it due to very slow rural wireless.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Daniel has a web site that explains his goal and agenda:

see

http://epicsouthpole.blogspot.com/

He will be traveling alone but will have four re-supply drops provided for him.

After reading the blog info my advice is to forget about any camera that can't be kept in a pocket. I doubt a DSLR or even a film SLR that wasn't serviced to work in extreme cold would work for very long & then it's dead weight to be carried or abandoned along the journey. Years ago I had a very detailed article on how National Geographic prepared SLR's for extreme cold & it required a full tear down & that very thin lubricants be substituted for the normal lubricants. 

Announcements