cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I keep 5D MKII HDMI feed on?

toddeastman
Apprentice

I've been attempting to use my 5d mkII and 7d as vdo cams, utilizing their hdmi outs into hdmi>hd-sdi converters to run to a multi-cam vdo switcher (multiple vdo cams are being used, as well).  The 5d/7d cams stay on, and while I can't see they're feeding through the back lcd, they are quite visible at the switcher...for a stretch.  After 20-30 minutes they stop hdmi feed, I get black, I get po'd!

Anybody know the cause or solution to this?  Might this be a battery getting lower than a certain mVA level?  Would a powered DC batt insert possibly solve this sudden shut down.  The cam, I must add, will also still be on, showing that it's powered;  it just stops sending hdmi to or through the converter.  Converter is powered while cam batt levels show several bars (not sucked down to empty, barely used).  Seems a shame not to be able to use the way I'd like!  Any help, and thanks in advance?  And, yes, all auto shut offs have been deactivated!

8 REPLIES 8

But you do understand the 30-minute limit on video. Right?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yes, bro, a limit on in-cam recording, as I understand.  I'm not trying to record but to simply use as a vdo front end to run HDMI out to HD-SDI  converter down a long ass cable to an A/V switcher (Roland V-40HD).  I've had the 5d work for 20-30 minutes before it decides it's through, even though it's still on.  Shutting down and powering back up produce a blank pic, too.  Removing the HDMI lead, the LCD powers on.  Plug the lead back in, no LCD, no HDMI still.  Sticking the HDMI lead into the 7D right from the same lead gives me a pic right away, again for a similar time before HDMI send shuts down (cam still powered on, LCD up when HDMI lead removed).  It ain't my first rodeo, but I'm only knowledgeable enought to get myself into trouble!  Do you think an investment in a DC batt insert would solve this or be a waste of money as far as a solution.  I don't need a 5D and 7D wall wart unless it fixes the problem.  Any other solution is most welcome, too, of course, and thanks for responding!  Does the 30-minute thang apply to HDMI send, too?  (yikes and please say no!!!)

I'm also seeing forums about overheating, but this doesn't feel hot.  Dry ice casing for a 6-hour concert shoot?  😉

@toddeastman wrote:

Yes, bro, a limit on in-cam recording, as I understand.  I'm not trying to record but to simply use as a vdo front end to run HDMI out to HD-SDI  converter down a long ass cable to an A/V switcher (Roland V-40HD).  I've had the 5d work for 20-30 minutes before it decides it's through, even though it's still on.  Shutting down and powering back up produce a blank pic, too.  Removing the HDMI lead, the LCD powers on.  Plug the lead back in, no LCD, no HDMI still.  Sticking the HDMI lead into the 7D right from the same lead gives me a pic right away, again for a similar time before HDMI send shuts down (cam still powered on, LCD up when HDMI lead removed).  It ain't my first rodeo, but I'm only knowledgeable enought to get myself into trouble!  Do you think an investment in a DC batt insert would solve this or be a waste of money as far as a solution.  I don't need a 5D and 7D wall wart unless it fixes the problem.  Any other solution is most welcome, too, of course, and thanks for responding!  Does the 30-minute thang apply to HDMI send, too?  (yikes and please say no!!!)

I'm also seeing forums about overheating, but this doesn't feel hot.  Dry ice casing for a 6-hour concert shoot?  😉

I'm not a videographer, so someone else will have to answer your questions. But the answer to whether the 30-minute limit applies probably depends on whether the camera recognizes a difference between recording and your feed-through arrangement. If it doesn't, you may be SOL.

Bob

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I wouldn't be surprised if the HDMI out is a parallel signal to allow video monitoring, not a separate function.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Parallel or separate, if I'm not recording there should be no time limit on the vdo due to file size restrictions which, as far as I know, is the cause of Canon DSLR shut downs along with overheating.  If this is so, I can't figure the reason a 5D or 7D would shut down and stop feed without an auto shutoff engaged, the file size limit being reached, or power running out (which could be eliminated with DC wall wart).  How can one do a 6 hour timelapse with the sucker if it won't stay on?  😉

ps hope things have settled and all's better up there in Boston, Bob.

@toddeastman wrote:

Parallel or separate, if I'm not recording there should be no time limit on the vdo due to file size restrictions which, as far as I know, is the cause of Canon DSLR shut downs along with overheating.  If this is so, I can't figure the reason a 5D or 7D would shut down and stop feed without an auto shutoff engaged, the file size limit being reached, or power running out (which could be eliminated with DC wall wart).  How can one do a 6 hour timelapse with the sucker if it won't stay on?  😉

You have to see both sides of the situation. A major jurisdiction (I think it's the EU) taxes video cameras more stiffly than it does still cameras. To keep their DSLRs from being classified as video cameras, the still camera manufacturers have agreed to limit their video capability to 30 consecutive minutes. Obviously the theory is that a serious videographer can't tolerate such a limitation. But the taxing authorities may regard your HDMI feed as merely a workaround to avoid the higher tax, in which case they may have required the manufacturers to limit that to 30 minutes as well. You'd better try to find out whether that's the case, because if it is, looking for a solution with your current equipment may be futile.

ps hope things have settled and all's better up there in Boston, Bob.

Well, I'm told that the snow mounds in the park in Cambridge (which I photographed for posterity back in February) finished melting two or three weeks ago. But my informant also reported that mounds do still exist in the South Boston parking lot where Boston dumped much of their snow.

But in general the commentariat has moved on from whining about the surfeit of snow last winter to whining about the lack of rain this spring.

And the commuter trains are back to running their full schedule, so I can usually get to work on time.  Smiley Frustrated

Bob

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I believe time lapse is created using an interval timer that wakes up the camera and takes a photo a prescribed number of times at a set interval.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

amfoto1
Authority

I don't use my DSLRs to shoot video either, so this is just a guess...

I thouth the time limit had to do with overheating the sensor or other electronic components (which are "on"", whether or not anything is being recorded, if you are seeing an image somewhere). If this is the case, the camera may remain disabled for a cooling off period, before it can be used again.

Yes, the batteries are another possibility. I know there is continuous power demand, as long as the mirror is being held up out of the way, the shutter is being held open and the sensor is active. If you have a battery grip, you might be able to test this... try the camera with only one battery installed... then again with both batteries... and see if two batteries allow it to run longer. If so, an AC/DC power source might be a solution.

I'd never heard the tax man theory before.... interesting. I guess it's possible, too.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Announcements