cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get the shutter count for the 7d mark ii on windows 10

Isac
Enthusiast

I'm looking for the shutter count on the 7Dii but am having a problem finding something that works. I would also like to know why Canon try their best to keep this a secret. This confuses me, as other manufacturers are onboard with having this important information easily available. Why would they be hesitant to share this vital information? It's extremely puzzling to me. Cheers.

34 REPLIES 34

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

DireStudio's "ShutterCount" used to be availble for both Mac & Windows.  I know it is still offerred on Mac, but I don't see it offerred on Windows (or maybe it's just not showing me that version since I'm viewing their webpage on a Mac).

Anyway, they now also offer a version that runs on iPhone & iPad.   The software will give you the normal shutter count and they also have add-on packs that will also show you the number of videos *and* live-view activations.

It only costs a few dollars.  I bought it years ago and it's worked on each of my cameras (but they supply a list on their website of all the cameras they support).

Canon's official answer is that they'll tell you the count if you bring it to one of their service centers (or if you send it for service or cleaning you can ask them to also provide you with the shutter count).  They don't have any official method available to the consumer.  I agree that it would be nice to have the info easily displayable on the camera without the need to do anything special.  

If you are "selling" a camera, you can retrieve your shutter count and offer that info to perspective buyers.  But if you're "buying" a camera, you can't easily check to see how heavily the camera was used (it would be up to the seller to send the camera in).  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you for that Tim. I have been made aware of the various methods to get the shutter count and I am a PC operator and never use Mac anything. I agree it would be great to have it available via a menu function as a lot of other manufacturers do, because to me and many others I consider it an important piece of information. Obviously Canon don't think it's needed so why do they bother to rate their shutter actuations? Got me puzzled. There is one solution, and that's to upgrade to another maker. Cheers.

Issac

So sorry, I do not have an answer to your question and that I am sort of off topic.  I downloaded a program.  I think shutter count .com that wanted me to install a driver to the camera to get a shutter count.  I was going to do it and was clicking back and forth between windows to follow insrtuctions.  Well, I had not noticed while clicking back it had changed the destination of the driver to my mouse instead of the camera.   That was a fun tying to fix that mistake without a usable mouse.  

I decided it was not worth the risk and the work involved over finding the shutter count.  I am selling my 7D markii and wanted the information to post becuase I know the count is real low.  Instead, I went to lightroom and filtered images taken with this camera and know that this should be pretty accuarate becuase I am a storage hog and hardly ever delete anything.  Lightroom says 899 photos and I bet that is accuate.  It was just used in our bag as a back up and the only time it was picked over our other bodies was for a couple hocky games.  That progrmam might work, just be sure you have your destination still set correctly before you hit install.

Please post back if you do find a good working solution

"Please post back if you do find a good working solution"

Any authorized Canon service center will give you the true count.  The only way for sure!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi stebo.

I have installed the "Astro Photography Tool" (APT) version 3.82 and it gives the shutter count accurately in the trial mode. I've checked by recording the current count, ading more shutter actuations, reloading APT and it's reported them accurately. It's solved my problem. It also works on my 7D. Simple to use.

1. Download and install the DEMO version of APT [MOD NOTE: Link Removed Per Forum Guidelines ]

2. Run the APT program, click NO to set the coordinates.

3. Click OK on the checklists screen.

4. Connect your camera to your computer with the cameras's USB cable.

5. Under the "Camera" tab, click "Connect".

The shutter count will appear as in the image.

APT - Shutter Count.jpg

"The shutter count will appear as in the image."

No, "a shutter count" will appear. Maybe it is an accurate count and maybe it isn't!

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"The shutter count will appear as in the image."

No, "a shutter count" will appear. Maybe it is an accurate count and maybe it isn't!

What people have to realize is that Canon apparently tries to hide the location of the true shutter count in the hope of preventing it from being hacked. Obviously that has both good and bad consequences for curious users, but it's an understandable decision.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

It's a sad world we live in if someone feels the need to "hack" the shutter count. Other major camera manufacturers don't try to hide it. Anyway, no more Canon products for me - I just don't have faith in the company and it's standards.

@Isac wrote:
It's a sad world we live in if someone feels the need to "hack" the shutter count. Other major camera manufacturers don't try to hide it. Anyway, no more Canon products for me - I just don't have faith in the company and it's standards.

You do understand, I suppose, that if the shutter count can be hacked, it can't be relied on. And if it can't be relied on, what good is it?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"It's good enough for me so that's all that matters."

OK, then, any shutter count is good whether it is true or not.

"I just don't have faith in the company and it's standards."

You are kidding? I hope you never get a flat tire on your car, watch out car companies.

EB
Announcements