cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get the shutter count for the 7d mark ii on windows 10

Isac
Enthusiast

I'm looking for the shutter count on the 7Dii but am having a problem finding something that works. I would also like to know why Canon try their best to keep this a secret. This confuses me, as other manufacturers are onboard with having this important information easily available. Why would they be hesitant to share this vital information? It's extremely puzzling to me. Cheers.

34 REPLIES 34

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The shutter count is there.  It is just buried deeper in the exif and most readers don't show that much detail.There is a freeware program that will pull up the count.  Windows is EOSInfo, simply connect the camera to your computer using a cable and run the program.  Best way is to stop by any Canon-authorized repair shop and ask them to check for you.  

I really don't see a lot of interest in knowing the count so I suspect Canon doesn't see the need or benefit either.  One reason, I guess, software developers don't offer a lot of software to check it. Plus how do you count a video shot or time?  It is just one click but it is far more than just one click.  So, a 1000 shutter count may have been 900 videos! Or, perhaps, the photographer was shooting the night time sky and all or most of the shutter count was for 10, 20, 30 seconds.  What I am trying to say is shutter count is really a meaningless number unless you actually know the history of the camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for your reply. I'm sure video recording on a DSLR including mirrorless, is only one shutter opening. In video mode or during a live mode photoshoot, video frames are not affected by the mechanical shutter but controlled by software which acts as an "electronic shutter" just like a video recorder, which as we know doesn't have a mechanical shutter. I'm noy quite understanding of your statement "I really don't see a lot of interest in knowing the count". If you had the choice of purchasing one of two used cameras (both in excellent condition) and knowing that one had 120,000 actuations and the other had only 25,000 actuations, it would safe to assume that the camera having the lower amount of actuations would form part of the decision as to which camera you would consider. Just like when buying a car, the odometer reading could be a part of your decision in whether you make the purchase or not. Imagine the uproar if vehicle manufacturers decided that it's not important enough to have an odometer new vehicles. I respect your opinion in saying it's not important, but in my opinion, I think it's very important to know the shutter count and I'm sure I am not the only one. Others here may wish to voice their own opinions. BTW, EOSInfo does not work for the Canon 7Dii.

What I meant is, if there is a need Canon and third party software creators would respond.  I think the want for shutter count is low.

"...knowing that one had 120,000 actuations and the other had only 25,000 actuations,..."

And the 25K camera only shot vids, I would go for the 120K camera.  However, how am I going to know that? Reason, the action of a video is far more stressing on the camera than just a shutter click.

"Just like when buying a car, the odometer reading could be a part of your decision in whether you make the purchase..."

Let's assume one car was a police car and had 100,000 miles on it but it sit and idled for hours every day.  No miles are added to the odometer but it is surely harder on the engine.  The other 100k car drove from KC to Denver on I70 twice a week.

Which 100K is better? Shutter count can be helpful to a degree if you know the history of the camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
“Others here may wish to voice their own opinions. BTW, EOSInfo does not work for the Canon 7Dii.”

I do not think shutter count is useful, either. Video cameras can measured by hours of use.

Without knowing how many hours are on the sensor, the shutter count can be very misleading. I think that this is what Ernie is trying to say.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi, If you read the original post, I wasn't asking for individual opinions about whether or not Shutter Count was important to anybody, I was asking if there was a way to read it - that's all. I know for a fact that it is important to some users. I am an administrator on a photography forum and it comes up regularly for users of our "Market Place". Nikon have it inbuilt. I'm sure owners of all sorts of modern cameras don't use all available features - it's up to the individual. Cheers, I'll keep searching.

@Isac wrote:

Hi, If you read the original post, I wasn't asking for individual opinions about whether or not Shutter Count was important to anybody, I was asking if there was a way to read it - that's all. I know for a fact that it is important to some users. I am an administrator on a photography forum and it comes up regularly for users of our "Market Place". Nikon have it inbuilt. I'm sure owners of all sorts of modern cameras don't use all available features - it's up to the individual. Cheers, I'll keep searching.

You were given the answer in the first response.  Send the camera to Canon.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Check out dire studio, pay a few bucks and you will have the tool. No free program can do the job.

I paid 2.99 when the 7D2 came out in 2015. Now it's a bit more.

@lly3988 wrote:

Check out dire studio, pay a few bucks and you will have the tool. No free program can do the job.

I paid 2.99 when the 7D2 came out in 2015. Now it's a bit more.

Perhaps APT or Canon EOS DIGITAL Info.

Thank you all for your responses and answers, much appreciated. I can advise my forum members of the options available so they can decide the best course of action to take. Cheers!

Announcements