cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make my Canon DSLR MOV files playable by standard media players?

Philnick
Contributor

I'm on my second EOS DSLR that shoots MOV files I just moved from a T4i (a/k/a the 650D) to a 70D.

The MOV files both of them them write are not normal MOV files but a subspecies called a SOWT file (for "twos" spelled backwards). They don't play smoothly on any standard media player on a PC: not Quicktime, not Windows Media Player, not VLC. What I get is jerky video that is not in synch with the sound. [Edit: I just updated and retested VLC - the video freezes on occasion, but it resumes in sych]

The only way I've been able to play them smoothly is by buying an add-on called CoreCodec for about $30 that massages them on the way into Windows Media Player - but it doesn't help with any of the other players.

I can't play the files through my Oppo Blu-ray player, which just spins its wait indication and then rejects the files as nonplayable.

I want to be able to give my friends copies of the videos I shoot of them that they can just put into their Blu-ray players and watch them, not give them a science experiment to engage in - and a conversion program to buy.

Has Canon - or anyone else - published any instructions for converting Canon SOWT MOV files into something more compatible with mainstream software and hardware? (By the way, the MOV files written by my Canon Powershot G12 don't cause this problem, but they're obviously not comparable in video quality.)

1 REPLY 1

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

See if this thread helps:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/35557283

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements