cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get 5 bracketed exposures with my 5D Mk II?

FBurr
Contributor

I have the 5D MkII (would love a MkIII but can't justify the expense just yet).  I do a fair amount of work with HDR post-capture processing with three bracketed exposures 2 stops apart.  I've heard, in the past, of someone setting their camera to get 5 bracketed exposures.  Any guidance/suggestions appreciated.  Thanks.

Sailor-retired USN. former 5D Mk II user - recently graduated to the R6
24 REPLIES 24

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The 5D Mark II doesn't have that capability. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Do it manually, and process it in post.  I get better results that way, anyway.  Just be sure that any post-processing that you apply is appllied in the same way to all files in the image set.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Just be sure that any post-processing that you apply is appllied in the same way to all files in the image set."

What? Smiley Frustrated  No it's not at least not in PS or LR or Photmatrix Pro.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Just be sure that any post-processing that you apply is appllied in the same way to all files in the image set."

What? Smiley Frustrated  No it's not at least not in PS or LR or Photmatrix Pro.  

???  Not sure what you're saying here.  You can process the photos anyway you wish prior to merging.  It's just that I seem to get better looking results, as well as the expected results, when I process all files in the same way.

"You can process the photos anyway you wish prior to merging."

You must be pretty new to HDR?  But to each his own I guess.

Besides from lens correction, your processing should be done after converting to the HDR file.  All the regular adjustments are availiblle at that time.

What post editor do you use?

EB

Yes, I am new to HDRs outside of the camera.  I have begun doing HDRs and Panos in LR6.  I like to do at least a lens correction before merging, especially on the panos to remove any vignetting.. 

" I like to do at least a lens correction before merging, especially on the panos to remove any vignetting.. "

Oh, I guess that is different than your first statement which was not as clear.  It sounded like you did all the post before HDR.

"... any post-processing that you apply is appllied in the same way to all files in the image set."

But like I said to each his own, if it works for you go for it.  But if you really get into HDR you need Photomatrix Pro 5.  It is a dedicated HDR editor.  That is all it does and is considered by most the best editor for HDR made.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Well Sailor-retired USN,

All cameras can do 5 image exposure bracketing.  It is called manual control.  I use a 1 series which does have 5 bracket exposure settings.  I do some considerable HDR mostly as a hobby and my own curiosity.  I suggest you invest in Photomatrix Pro 5 or at least Lightroom 6 for your HDR photos.

Below in the two photos is the difference between 3 shot and 5 shot bracketing in HDR.  Each exposure is 1 stop apart. So 5 stops vs 3 stops.  Each has the exact same setting in Photomatrix Pro 5.  The 3 stop is first.

_D3X6279_80_81_82_83HDR.jpg

_D3X6280_1_2_3HDR.jpg

Of course these have a surreal look and feel but you can do some pretty amazing stuff using HDR.  The two below would not be possible with out HDR or some form of photo stacking and exposure control.

_DS38494_5_6HDR.jpg

123.jpg

Have fun with it and go try that 'manual setting' on that 5D Mk II. Smiley Happy

EB

Thanks!  I use both Photomatrix Pro and Lightroom Creative Cloud (and find the LR CC HDR quite satisfactory for the most part), and unless I'm shooting a fast moving sporting event, everything is in Large Raw and manual.  I have used the three-bracketed shots and, by changing my f/stop been able to generate a reasonable spread of 6 bracketed shots (with, of course, one duplicate).  I just wondered if there was some way to avoid having to change the f/stop.

Sailor-retired USN. former 5D Mk II user - recently graduated to the R6
Announcements