cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How abut those fireworks? Did you get any good shots?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

_52D0220.jpg

_52D0221.jpg

_DS38223.jpg

_DS38235.jpg

_DS38257.jpg

Using a 1D Mk IV with a EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM II lens. And my 1Ds Mk III with a EF 24-70mm f2.8L lens.

Mk IV set at f8 and 1 1/2 sec shutter. Ds3 set to f5.6 and 1/2 sec.  Both using ISO 400.  Of course when shooting this type, or really anything, you should bracket your settings. Took a little over 300 photos.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
33 REPLIES 33

You implied a "better low light" camera would do a better job shooting fireworks.  

that is not what i was implying...nor what i said.  i said your camera was better in lower light than mine, and wondered if my camera could deal with the lower light as well as yours, and i don't think it can.  I never said anything about not taking as good a picture because of my camera.  But even so, i don't believe my talent at this time would permit me to do as good as you did here,  if i had your camera.  Now what part of what i'm saying now that you don't understand????   Being critical for critcal sake serves no purpose.

"that is not what i was implying...nor what i said."

It isn't?

".. then too, both you guys cameras are much better in low light than mine." 

That is a direct copy and paste quote.  I didn't make it up.   If it doesn't imply the camera made the difference, I need a refresher English course.

I think at this time our relationship needs to part.  Good luck with all your photograhpy.

EB

have it your way biggs, you can be right.

2015-07-04;Sparklers and pool 2 (10 of 12).JPGI was aiming a bit lower and smaller...

2015-07-04;Sparklers and pool 2 (11 of 12).JPG2015-07-04;Sparklers and pool 2 (9 of 12).JPG2015-07-04;Sparklers and pool 2 (7 of 12).JPG

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Hey Scotty, might as well join in.  Smiley Very Happy      All you guys took nice firework shots.  

Scott, these are amazing shots, how is it possible that you can see for example in the last of the four pictures you posted several circles of light (that would have taken a at least a couple of seconds to travel) and still having the girl perfectly sharp with a so long exposure? Was this achieved in one single shot?

Ricci.

@ScottyP wrote:

2015-07-04;Sparklers and pool 2 (10 of 12).JPGI was aiming a bit lower and smaller...

2015-07-04;Sparklers and pool 2 (11 of 12).JPG2015-07-04;Sparklers and pool 2 (9 of 12).JPG2015-07-04;Sparklers and pool 2 (7 of 12).JPG

Whe I saw this pic I too was amazed at the claity of the total shot, but did not know exactly why, or what it was, that I thought strange about it in my thinking.  I did'nt know how to explain or ask what you just said.  I thought it a great shot.

Two things:

1)  Use flash

2)  Set the flash to "2nd curtain" mode (instead of flash firing just after the shutter opens, it fires just before the shutter closes.)

Scott used a small aperture (which prevents the camera from collecting much light unless it's fairly bright and the sparklers are fairly bright.)  f/14 in most images... the final image was f/16.

At that focal ratio, the glow of the sparklers really isn't enough ambient light to do much to light up the girls.  You sometimes see a tiny bit of ghosting if an arm paused in one spot too long (look very closely and you can see hitnts of movement, but it's minimal), but mosty it's not visible.

This means the camera is basically recording a black frame with the path of the sparkers, but no girls in the shot...

THEN the flash fires (just before shutter closes) with a burst of light that is strong enough to expose the girls.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

And use bulb with a release and a tripod.  Pretty easy really.  Smiley Happy

EB

Great trick, thanks!

Ricci.
Announcements