cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How abut those fireworks? Did you get any good shots?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

_52D0220.jpg

_52D0221.jpg

_DS38223.jpg

_DS38235.jpg

_DS38257.jpg

Using a 1D Mk IV with a EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM II lens. And my 1Ds Mk III with a EF 24-70mm f2.8L lens.

Mk IV set at f8 and 1 1/2 sec shutter. Ds3 set to f5.6 and 1/2 sec.  Both using ISO 400.  Of course when shooting this type, or really anything, you should bracket your settings. Took a little over 300 photos.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
33 REPLIES 33

jazzman1
Rising Star

@ebiggs1 wrote:

_52D0220.jpg

_52D0221.jpg

_DS38223.jpg

_DS38235.jpg

_DS38257.jpg

Both using ISO 400.  

You used ISO 400 ????   At night time ????  

I did.

EB

How do you manage that???   I have to raise my ISO to at least 800 at sundown with my 60D.  Even higher as I zoom out.

@jazzman1 wrote:

How do you manage that???   I have to raise my ISO to at least 800 at sundown with my 60D.  Even higher as I zoom out.

Fireworks create their own light. And it's pretty bright, usually. That's what you're exposing for, not the background.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Of course when shooting this type, or really anything, you should bracket your settings."

Don't gloss over the important points.  ISO 800 might work.  ISO 200 might work.  Good photos are rarely "set and forget!"

At this stage off my life as a photographer, I can usuall look at a scene and guess the exposure.  The firworks were all done in manual mode.  So there is not electronic gadget telling me what exposure to use.

Just like a bright sunny day is f16 at 1/100 and a ISO of 100.  You just know it.  Step into the shade and f8.  But always "bracket" you exposures.

EB

hey guys, i never shot fireworks before so this info is good to know.  i also know any available light would change the varibles. i did'nt know the light from fireworks would make as much difference as it seemingly does, even being far away.  then too, both you guys cameras are much better in low light than mine.   i do change my settings for different situations and lighting.  i no longer use auto.

"... both you guys cameras are much better in low light than mine."

Hmmm, yeah, maybe but I used to shoot fireworks with an Argus C3.  It isn't the camera my friend.  You forgot already, 1/2 camera/lens, 1/2 post and 1/2 you.  Not necessarily in that order!

EB

It isn't the camera my friend.  You forgot already, 1/2 camera/lens, 1/2 post and 1/2 you.  Not necessarily in that order!

Obiwan, I'm beginning to believe you are a little nuts.  You are one of the most critical and judgemental photographers i've met.  i never said anything of the sort about what you're talking about.  you seem to see what you want to see many times.  i think you at times have your very own reality.  not a putdown obiwan, just an observation.  no disrespect meant, you're a very knowledgeable pro.  But there's life reality and then their's yours and they are not always the same.

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.  Nothing!   It is a take it or leave it.

You implied a "better low light" camera would do a better job shooting fireworks.  And that for whatever it's worth is, untrue.

You can't get much more primitive than a C3 and film.  Guess what, it shot fireworks.

EB
Announcements