Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Get Pure White Background?

jYeary
Contributor

Hi guys,

(Shooting on Canon M50 Mark II)

I have two lights, and a white backdrop for my product photos and I can't help but to get these photos with a slight grey or yellowish background.

I really need to get a pure white background so I don't have to edit every single photo in photoshop.(I have lots of products to shoot)

I keep my iso at Auto, and have played around with my shutter speed and aperature.

Generally shooting at f 7.1 and shutter speed from 1/8 - 1/15.

I have tried using the auto white balance, custom white balance by using a white piece of paper, and I've tried using kelvin white balance, but still cannot get that true pure white color.

IMG_0549.JPG

23 REPLIES 23

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"You cannot get it 100% perfect without some type of post processing."

This is the correct answer!  And, it is the only final solution.  Even if you can get true white, the photo will still need adjusting in Photoshop or some other good editor. May as well start there!

Based on that, would you recommend shooting in RAW or JPG?

Never, never, never, never, shoot jpg.  Always Raw.  The adjustment latitude in Raw is far better than jpg by a huge amount.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

One should be careful whenever giving "always" or "never" advice.   True, capturing in RAW will give you far more control and that is my recommended format to use whenever post-work is involved (or may be involved in the future).

Personally, I shoot RAW+JPEG for the following reasons:

* Nice "backup".  RAW gets corrupted? JPEG is there.

* JPEGs can be easily shared immediately without having to first process all the RAW images.

* Reviewing images during a Photoshoot that isn't tethered? I would sync the JPEGs to my iPad which was far faster than syncing the RAW files.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

"Never, never, never, never, shoot jpg.  Always Raw."

However our discussion is white BG.  However, I never ever use jpg anymore for any circumstance but that's just me.  It is so seamless now jpg make little to no sense. If I am in a high priority or mandatory situation I save Raw to both CF cards.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements