Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Get Pure White Background?

jYeary
Contributor

Hi guys,

(Shooting on Canon M50 Mark II)

I have two lights, and a white backdrop for my product photos and I can't help but to get these photos with a slight grey or yellowish background.

I really need to get a pure white background so I don't have to edit every single photo in photoshop.(I have lots of products to shoot)

I keep my iso at Auto, and have played around with my shutter speed and aperature.

Generally shooting at f 7.1 and shutter speed from 1/8 - 1/15.

I have tried using the auto white balance, custom white balance by using a white piece of paper, and I've tried using kelvin white balance, but still cannot get that true pure white color.

IMG_0549.JPG

23 REPLIES 23

@rs-eos wrote:

One slick method I always thought was neat was to have a large square/rectangular softbox serve as your backdrop.

or simply put a light behind the cloth backdrop you are using, then the backdrop acts as a large diffused light source. You will need to experiment with the light to backdrop distance to get even illumination

@Ray-uk wrote:

@rs-eos wrote:

One slick method I always thought was neat was to have a large square/rectangular softbox serve as your backdrop.

or simply put a light behind the cloth backdrop you are using, then the backdrop acts as a large diffused light source. You will need to experiment with the light to backdrop distance to get even illumination

LR and PS can give a RGB display of the pixel(s) under the cursor.  The only way to get pure white, (255, 255, 255),everywhere is by using Photoshop.  Lighting techniques will get you close, but it will never be perfect.  Most of the suggestions that have been proposed are shown in this video.  He explains why they all fail.

https://youtu.be/ehKq8hcENqM 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Interesting and informative video, thanks for posting it.

THen you need to darken the lights on the product.

You can't have it both ways.

You might try an in camera HDR picture if your camera allows it.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

It sounds like you are going to be photographing many different products so the perfect lighting setup to get one example properly illuminated against a pure white background isn't going to work for another that has different size, color, reflectivity, etc.  I think you are going to be forced to keep using Photoshop for that pure white background.

Some lighting systems have features to make this easier.  I use Hensel studio strobes and they include Hensel's "Freemask" system that easily produce a cutout mask so that the product can be seamlessly stitched to any background that you choose.  It isn't a feature I have used but I can certainly see the utility for product photography.

I suspect this forum strips links from other manufacturers, but do a Youtube search for Hensel Freemask and it may give you some ideas how to implement this with other lighting equipment.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Quick test today where I was able to get the vast majority of the white background pure white.  Very little to do in Photoshop if wanting to get all areas at 100%.

pure_white.jpg

The setup:

7' deep umbrella with diffusion (four speedlites at 1/16 + 0.3 power).  This was anged at the subject and would also contribute to lighting the background (more from the left-hand side as viewing the image).

Two gridded strip boxes on other side of the backdrop in groups B and C.  Did this since B needed less power.  B at 1/2 + 0.3 power.  C at full power.

Canon 5D IV with the 135mm f/2 L.  @f/2.8, ISO 100, 1/200s.

white_background_setup.jpg

NOTE: I really like using telephotos for this as you get a narrow field of view and thus less width of the backdrop to illuminate.  I use 53" inch wide seamless paper.  I was also able to move the subject away from the backdrop as well.

What I specifically did.... Took separate shots with just group B on and then just with group C.  Adjusted power such that the histogram was just to the left of clipping (such that say adding 1/3 to 2/3 stops more power would then start clipping).  I figured that the main light would be contributing around 1/3 to 2/3 stops to the background.

Then, turned on the main to get a decent exposure for the subject.  Finally fine-tuned all power levels.  After about five images, had the final shot.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

@rs-eos wrote:

Quick test today where I was able to get the vast majority of the white background pure white.  Very little to do in Photoshop if wanting to get all areas at 100%.

The setup:

7' deep umbrella with diffusion (four speedlites at 1/16 + 0.3 power).  This was anged at the subject and would also contribute to lighting the background (more from the left-hand side as viewing the image).

Two gridded strip boxes on other side of the backdrop in groups B and C.  Did this since B needed less power.  B at 1/2 + 0.3 power.  C at full power.

Canon 5D IV with the 135mm f/2 L.  @f/2.8, ISO 100, 1/200s.

NOTE: I really like using telephotos for this as you get a narrow field of view and thus less width of the backdrop to illuminate.  I use 53" inch wide seamless paper.  I was also able to move the subject away from the backdrop as well.

What I specifically did.... Took separate shots with just group B on and then just with group C.  Adjusted power such that the histogram was just to the left of clipping (such that say adding 1/3 to 2/3 stops more power would then start clipping).  I figured that the main light would be contributing around 1/3 to 2/3 stops to the background.

Then, turned on the main to get a decent exposure for the subject.  Finally fine-tuned all power levels.  After about five images, had the final shot.

You have simply proven point.  You cannot get it 100% perfect without some type of post processing.  Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'll come back with a better image if I can ever convince my wife that I need Speedlite number 7 and 8 🙂

I could have added another strip (horizontal orientation) along the top of the backdrop and a second strip to deal with the lower left corner.

Your point is still valid; not all pixels will be at 100%.  However, with enough lights (or with modifiers of the right size that have very even output), you can get very close.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I suspect it would be possible to accomplish what Hensel's Freemask setup does via manual control/setup of lighting.  But photoshop editing seems the most practical approach without specialized gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyfmAAfuf3o

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"You cannot get it 100% perfect without some type of post processing."

This is the correct answer!  And, it is the only final solution.  Even if you can get true white, the photo will still need adjusting in Photoshop or some other good editor. May as well start there!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements