Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hope DPP3.X can support New 1DX2, DPP4 is not good :-(

DPP3 is much more easy to use, DPP4 too many option and slow Smiley Mad

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hope DPP3.X can support New 1DX2, DPP4 is not good :-(

Sorry, it won't. I am pretty sure that Canon is not going to support older cameras on DPP3 - though I have no inside knowledge.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

so bad, do they know DPP4 problem?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Don't know, you are certainly free to call and tell them. But many people use DPP4 just fine.

Highlighted
VIP

DPP4 is a decent application for use with consumer cameras.  I think a professional grade camera, like the 1DX2, is worthy of better, and more sophisticated software, like Adobe Lightroom.  Don't you?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I kinda figure it is just early in the development cycle.

Highlighted
VIP

"New 1DX2, DPP4 is not good"

If you bought a 1Dx Mk II and are relying on DPP 4 or 3 or whatever number as your editor, you have more problems than it just not working!  Smiley Surprised

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Waddizzle wrote:

DPP4 is a decent application for use with consumer cameras.  I think a professional grade camera, like the 1DX2, is worthy of better, and more sophisticated software, like Adobe Lightroom.  Don't you?

In a word, no. It all depends on what you're requirements are. If all you're doing is cropping, rotating, applying lens corrections, and adjusting brightness, contrast, white balance, tone, etc., then DPP 4 is perfectly satisfactory and arguably supports a more straightforward workflow than do PS and LR. But for really elaborate corrections, like rescuing a horribly exposed but mission critical image, PS may be the only thing that can save you.

IMO, many photographers who use Photoshop don't really need it; they're using it because of its reputation, not its functionality. If that doesn't bother them, it certainly doesn't bother me. 

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

In a word, no. It all depends on what you're requirements are. If all you're doing is cropping, rotating, applying lens corrections, and adjusting brightness, contrast, white balance, tone, etc., then DPP 4 is perfectly satisfactory and arguably supports a more straightforward workflow that do PS and LR. But for really elaborate corrections, like rescuing a horribly exposed but mission critical image, PS may be the only thing that can save you.

IMO, many photographers who use Photoshop don't really need it; they're using it because of its reputation, not its functionality. If that doesn't bother them, it certainly doesn't bother me. 

I would say that DPP 4 with its adjustable midpoint is as good at rescuing horribly exposed images as any software out there. DPP3 on the other hand, was aweful in that regard.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@WoSoLoo wrote:

DPP3 is much more easy to use, DPP4 too many option and slow Smiley Mad

If DPP4 is too slow, it sounds to me like you need a computer upgrade.