cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hissing Sound On Canon EOS 90D Videos

krissberg
Apprentice

Hi everyone, new EOS 90D user here so pardon my ignorance.  

I bought a video kit from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0101S2NU0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I set it up in a studio with a lot of lights and a tripod.  The video is just me talking in front of a green screen, so there's minimal lense movement/autofocus going on.

When I play back my videos there is an audible hissing sound, like white noise, on the track.  Oddly, I swapped out the directional mic for a lavaleir mic, and the mic didn't pick up any sound. But the hiss was still there. That tells me the sound is coming from the camera?  I have my cell phone and an ipad set up teleprompters next to the camera, could it be from those?

Is there a setting or something I am missing?  I can remove the hiss in post but I'd rather not have it at all obviously.  Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The interference could very well be coming from your devices. You can also try turning off IS in the lens.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The interference could very well be coming from your devices. You can also try turning off IS in the lens.

I thought that might be the case. I need them for the teleprompter, would switching to airplane mode help?

First, move them away and see if it is the problem.

thanks for this, a new lavalier and putting other devices into airplane mode helped!

I have the same issue but, to make things trickier, mine just started, out of the blue. My lighting has not changed. My set up has not changed. Nothing has changed. Same microphone same everything for three years. I switched out all of the cables I’m using in case some of them have gotten old. Just bought new versions of the same ones and that same strange white noise hits in the background that literally just started two days ago out of the blue. What could it be? Also happening when I don’t use my microphone so it seems to be the camera? 

Sivveh
Apprentice

Same thing happened to me. Test recording a couple of weeks ago was acceptable with Lavalier mic. Now camera internal mic as well as lavalier record the same loud hissing. I didn't even have all the lighting on, computer turned off, phones at a distance. Room is really quiet but it sounds like a wind is blowing across the mic.

Announcements