cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High ISO noise

WJM
Contributor

I'm using a 6D mark ll. Others who use this , at what ISO do you consider noise becoming excessive?

I shot a basketball game and it started to show a lot of noise starting at 800 or 1600 on up. 

I shot with a Canon 24-105 L ,Tamron 15-30 2.8 and a Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2.

Thanks for the feed back

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

The resolution of your sample is 640 x 427.  What resolution are you shooting at?  JPEG or RAW?

Suggestion:  Your shooting angle is too high above the floor.  You need to get down to the players' eye level, [if] not lower.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

I think so, but you are the artist.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Where you shoot from is key.  It is the most important part of sports photography. However, it will not affect how much or how little noise the camera makes. Are you being too critical, probably.  All photographers see the worst in their work.

In you sample shot the DOF is too short and that likely makes you think noise is bad. If you are OOF too, it makes noise look worse. The first sample shot of the man is OOF.  The third shoot, football player, is also OOF but the girls BB shot is great.

A real nice shot of the action.

"As far as getting lower ,my knees give me a little trouble"

You won't do your knees or the amount of noise any good by getting lower. But you will get a better perspective as it looks like you shot from the bleachers!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The first sample shot of the man is OOF

Haters just love to hate.  I can see myself in his sunglasses.  This photo is tack sharp, folks.02AAFCA0-53A4-49D7-9175-A4DFACBC201F.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks to all for your help!

"This photo is tack sharp, folks."

You need to sharpen your"tacks"!  Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Low angle is great if you have access to the baseline. If not, it's tough to get a shot of the front of a player taking a free throw without being at a higher angle. The players on the side of the lane would get in the way of the player attempting the free throw.
5DIV, 7DII, EF70-200/2.8 IS II, EF24-70/2.8, EF24-105/4, EF17-40/4, EF50/1.4, EF85/1.8, EF135/2
Announcements