Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Hi guys, getting my new 7D MKII in a few days, is the battery as bad as they say it is?

Hi guys, getting my new 7D MKII in a few days, is the battery as bad as they say it is? I have also bought a second canon battery along with the new grip as I do huge volumes of images and 7D doesn't breat a sweat . I have been usung the 7D for years and felt this was the right way to go, have i made a mistake? I currently have one on loan and I am hoping the battery performance on this is just a glitch.

Respected Contributor

Re: Hi guys, getting my new 7D MKII in a few days, is the battery as bad as they say it is?

[ Edited ]

@Alan_Ryan wrote:

Hi guys, getting my new 7D MKII in a few days, is the battery as bad as they say it is? I have also bought a second canon battery along with the new grip as I do huge volumes of images and 7D doesn't breat a sweat . I have been usung the 7D for years and felt this was the right way to go, have i made a mistake? I currently have one on loan and I am hoping the battery performance on this is just a glitch.

Well, if you already are using the camera you know what battery life you are getting.

I have a battery grip on my 7D Mk II and don't have any complaints about the battery life. I only turn the GPS on when I'm at the location where I am shooting and turn it off before leaving. 

What may be impacting some people's battery life is I know that The Big Whites are supposed to draw extra current from the 1D X to allow for more responsive lens drive. If the 7D Mk II is also providing that extra juice, with its smaller batteries, I could see it not lasting as long. 

New Contributor

Re: Hi guys, getting my new 7D MKII in a few days, is the battery as bad as they say it is?

Thank you for the prompt reply, I know my initial question may have appeared odd. The 7D MkII is only with me for two days, it is a fabulous camera, so accurate with the ability to nail images at 2.8 on my zooms, something that 7D struggles with. I did discover that the battery did deplete more when the MkII was in single shot, at 200 images it was down to 50%. I was doing a lot of chimping and running through settings, so this will also add to usage. But when the MkII is on Servo at H speed it can knock out hundreds of files. Unfortunately this is not the way I shoot my work, I have an EF 70 - 200 2.8 IS and a EF 70 - 200 non IS. Can you tell me how many images you regularly get between charges please. I feel I may have to change the way I shoot my work.

Frequent Contributor

On Sunday I shot over 750 images with my 7D2 and 70-200 2.8 IS II, all AF and IS - all HS continuous, AI Servo. Still have 58% and shutter count shows 978.
The venue was indoor ice hockey and with the action the lens was constantly focusing.
PJ
(Grampy)

"Photography is a money-sucking black hole, and I'm approaching the event horizon"
New Contributor

Thaank you for the reply, that's quite impressive, I am interested to see how it performs on single so. The stuff I shoot rarely requires servo at all, but I may as well take advantage of it, thank you again..