cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi. I'm having trouble with noise at high ISO settings with 5D Mark III.

Laetitiabooysen
Apprentice
I've only recently starting using this camera and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. The high ISO NR is set on high but I'm still seeing noise above ISO 1000. Am I perhaps just not focusing correctly. I had a daytime shoot today, but we were in low light areas at times and I cranked up the ISO but when I processed I had to do NR in LR which only slightly remedied the problem. Please advise. I noticed on the forum that there was a firmware upgrade. I bought the camera in December do I have to do an upgrade as well?
7 REPLIES 7

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The latest firmware for the 5D Mk III is 1.2.3 but I doubt that is your problem. 

High ISO grain is always worse in underexposed shots and in shadows. I get very little noise even at ISO 10000 with my 5D3.  I suspect you just need to increase your exposure a bit.

Mike Sowsun

SGFFX
Enthusiast
You can check the firmware version by going to "tools" 4. In other words the fourth wrench menu item will tell you what firmware is in the camera. The current firmware is 1.1.3.

I bought a 6D in December and I have the latest firmware. I did a few tests at ISOs 100, 200, 400, etc. I see some noise at ISO 800 and could notice it more at ISO 1600 and above especially in high key images and in light colored solid areas of any image. I did zoom in on those areas in the image to see if there was noise. In the unzoomed images and in images at less than 100% zoom it is harder to see the noise.

I suggest you try a few test shots at various ISOs and f stops to get a sense of how the camera and lens perform. The lens can have an impact on the amount noise. So you might run some tests with different lenses to see how much of an impact the lens is having.

ScottyP
Authority
High noise compared to what? What camera were you using before the 5d3? Was that camera better at the same ISO's?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

hsbn
Whiz
Are you shooting Raw? If you do and process with LR then it is normal because lr ignore in camera setting for raw so you need to do nr in lr
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Can you post an example and perhaps also percent crop.  

Several things come to mind...

First, High ISO NR only applies to JPEG images and not to RAW.  When shooting RAW you'll have to de-noise on the computer.  

I have _never_ thought much of Adobe's ability to deal with noise -- Photoshop and Lightroom are fairly marginal at this (and that's being kind.)  There are third party noise reduction plug-ins which are much better.  My favorite is Imagenomic's "Noiseware Pro".  They do a better job because they do targeted noise reduction.  It can deal with both chroma and luma noise (separately) and you can define noise and aggressiveness of noise removal based on brightness and frequency. 

Next... the size you use to display an image will have a lot to do with whether noise is visible.  I have images where a 100% zoom shows the noise, but unless you do a 100% zoom, you see hardly any noise at all.   When you export an image which has been resized to a smaller size, the pixels are effectively re-sampled and this resampling has the effect of de-noising the image.  Just because I see noise in an image, doesn't mean it will be visible in the final presentation of the shot.

Noise is most noticeable in the dark areas and generally not very noticeable in the light or bright areas.  But be realistic about what you expect with respect to noise.  The 5D III has _very_ impressive ISO compared to the vast majority of cameras on the market... but that doesn't mean it wont have any noise at all.  

If you'd like, post a sample of what you're seeing and also include a "100% crop" (because the entire image shrunk to web-size probably wont show any noise.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Actually LR is pretty good at NR. You can apply it selectively also.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Yeah, with older versions of LR and PS I would specially convert high ISO RAW files using DPP, instead of my usual process with Lightroom and Photoshop. But now  I've seen a big improvement in NR with the later versions of Adobe products... Lightroom 3 and later Photoshop CS5 and later. Now using LR4 and CS6, I rarely see need to use Canon DPP.

But I also use Noiseware Pro at times, with particularly high ISO shots. It can be used as a stand-alone or as a Photoshop plug-in. (I do the latter.)

If shooting JPEGs, make sure your in-camera NR settings are correct. All digital images start out as RAW files.... when you set the camera to produce JPEGs instead,  you are simply doing the RAW conversion in-camera and all the "extra" data is thrown away in the process. 

The key thing in any case is to avoid underexposure at all costs.

In order to minimize noise at all levels, you do not want to be increasing (pushing) exposure at all during post-processing. In fact, it's often better to be pulling or reducing exposure a bit. I know folks who regularly over-expose +1/3 or even +2/3 stop at higher ISOs... sometimes even more depending upon the situation.  They get really good results.

Canon's metering seems to still follow the old rule of slight underexposure that was useful with slide/transparency film. You had to be very careful to prevent over-exposure with slide film, because the highlights in transparencies are a lack any "data"... the final image on the film is nearly or completely clear in those areas.... while shadow areas have a wealth of "data".

With digital files, it's just the opposite. Shadows are an absence of data, while highlights are a preponderence of it. So you are a lot better off over-exposing slightly... In other words, with digital files highlights are more "recoverable" than shadows. Just don't do too much, as it's still possible to "blow out" highlights to the point that fine detail is unrecoverably lost.

I also agree that one of the mistakes people make is viewing their images too large on their computer monitor. If you are looking at an image "100%", that's the same as viewing a 5 foot wide print from 18" away (assuming that your computer monitor is a typical modern one and is set to it's native resolution). Unless you are planning on making a 40x60" print, and even then since you will likely be viewing it from a much greater distance, back off to 50% or less when evaluating your images (feel free to zoom in when retouching, just don't expect miracles).

The best way to evaluate your images is with a print, anyway. You'll be stunned at the dynamic range, additioanl fine detail and overall quality of an image, once it's printed. It is nearly always far and away better than what you see on your computer monitor. When printing use a high quality printer and smooth, matte paper, for the the most critical evaluation . If your printer isn't able to print large enough, crop out a section of the image. Glossy and lustre/semi-gloss papers actually hide a lot of fine detail.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements