cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help

Gloflosmith123
Contributor
Help I just bought a 7d from my son who only used it to video so he’s not much help in what I want to use it for ... I want to take pictures of barrel racing ... what lenses should I be looking to buy or Do I even need to buy one ... until spring everything will be indoors so lighting might be a issue to ... any help will be so much appreciated ... settings also would be fantastic as I’m just starting out
27 REPLIES 27

"I shoot a lot of equestrian events of all types."

Are these examples typical of your work?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I shoot a lot of equestrian events of all types."

Are these examples typical of your work?

Yes, part of it.

These examples seemed relevant to the original question, were shot with some of the various lenses mentioned. (All or most images are "proof" quality.... low resolution, watermarked, very quickly post-processed.... bascially unfinished images for the clients to select among for completion.)

I really enjoy shooting the fast action of gymkhana, rodeo, barrel racing, roping, sorting & penning, etc. But images from those events typically don't sell anywhere near as well as images from dressage, hunter/jumper, showmanship. So I tend to do more of the latter types of events.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

Gloflosmith123
Contributor
Thanks soooo much everyone I found a 70-200 for a price that didn’t make my hubby throw up ... hopefully this will be the only lens I need until i know what I’m doing ... how do u all carry your stuff around ... soft bag hard cases ?

Fabulous! You will love it.  Here is an answer I gave on a different thread but you might find interesting.....

"Another 'old fashion" practice?  The last several years I have gotten away from a camera bag.  Well in the old fashion way of thinking anyway.  I rarely use a camera bag at all. Actually I never did unless it was a long distance travel assignment. I do have bags that holds the cameras and others that holds the lenses. Not together!  Professional lenses come in wonderful bags and do not really need another bag to store them in.  So that takes care of the lenses part.  My cameras on the other hand rarely sit for more than a few hours, at night mostly."

I must have a dozen or so purpose bought camera bags that never get used!  I have the largest Tamrac pro bag, back packs, single camera bags, etc, you name it.  I will say if you do want a specific bag to carry your gear, check out a back pack type bag.  Most can be carried normally or used as a back pack. Here is an example that is not too expensive and a really nice backpack.  Click me!  I see it is out of stock at Canon store but other retailers have it, too.

Another great way to carry your camera and big lens is the BlackRapid Sport Breathe Camera Strap. I have a couple of them.

EB

Great lens choice, you will love it!

I use different cases/bags depending upon what I am doing.  When I bought my 1D M2 back in 2005, I bought a Lowepro AW which is big enough to fit a 1 series body with a small to medium lens mounted plus another lens.  A lot of the time, that bag held a 1DM2 with the 24-70 2.8 mounted ot the body and a 70-200 2.8 often in its own carrying case but inside the Lowepro bag for carrying convenience.  The 580EX flash along with spare batteries and a few other things also fit.  Over the years I bought a second one of those bags and have used them a fair amount and they have held up well.  They have an integrated "rain coat" for the bag which emerges from a pouch when needed and it is handy.

I also bought a Lowepro camera backpack, I can't remember the model number.  It is a VERY comfortable way to carry a heavy camera along with a lens assortment when doing a full day hike but there is surprisingly little room in what looks like a very big pack.  But I used this for several years to carry two cameras with lens to sports events and it is also great for that situation.

Last year I bought a Pelican case which is now my go to setup for carrying stuff to field events.  My most used setup is a pair of 1 series bodies with a 300 2.8 on one and a 70-200 2.8 on the second and both of those cameras with the glass mounted fit in the Pelican roller case along with spare batteries, the Canon camera/lens raincoats and some other misc. stuff. The Pelican case is very heavy duty, waterproof, and highly protective of whatever inside which also makes it very heavy so carrying it is not a lot of fun but it does have wheels that work well on any solid surface (grass not so much). 

If you are shooting with a single camera and lens setup, a bag primarily adds a little protection (especially if you shoot outdoors) and is convenient for carrying other "necessities" along with the camera; for your use take a look at the midsize Lowepro AW series.  I did a lot of short (10 mile or less range) hikes with my 1DM2, a pair of lens, and some snacks with the Lowepro and although not as comfortable as using the backpack I liked it for convenience on these shorter hikes.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Gloflosmith123
Contributor
Please anyone have some settings I can start with to shot inside action shots ... I know everything is different at different places and won’t get classes until Jan just want to start playing ... did take it once inside and black pictures so black I thought my camera was recked

Very rough suggestion is high ISO numbers. Wide apertures.  Slow shutter speeds. Forget auto mode. There, easy! Smiley Happy

EB

@Gloflosmith123 wrote:
Please anyone have some settings I can start with to shot inside action shots ... I know everything is different at different places and won’t get classes until Jan just want to start playing ... did take it once inside and black pictures so black I thought my camera was recked

I suggest that you start a new thread of your own.  Be sure to include what camera and lens you are using.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements