cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with uploading footage via PC/Mac

JimmieB
Contributor

Thank you in advance! 

I have a Canon 80d, and am planning to use it to record video during a trip to Canada in a couple months. Background and my question: I plan to have more hd footage than I have SD cards for, so I will need to upload to an external drive to bring home in order to edit on my PC in Adobe. However, I only have access to Mac laptops to bring on the trip. Is this an issue for me in terms of file compatibility, or anything else? Can I pick up an external drive that I can use on both operating systems efficiently?Obviously I'm no expert on this end of things so commenting on any issues I might run into would be much appreciated!!

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5

Tim
Authority

Hello JimmieB

I  understand that you have questions about shooting HD video with the EOS 80D.  I do not believe that you will run into issues by virtue of having a Mac computer.  There is software available and hardware that will work for this purpose on either Mac or PC.  With regards to using it on both simultaneously you'd have to do some research because PC and Mac each use a different type of operating system and usually you'd need to format for one or another.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks Tim! I hope that answers my question - I don't mean to use anything simultaneously; just need to make sure that I can upload to an external HDD via Mac, and use the same external drive to place the video files onto my PC after I get home.

Thanks again!

@JimmieB wrote:

Thanks Tim! I hope that answers my question - I don't mean to use anything simultaneously; just need to make sure that I can upload to an external HDD via Mac, and use the same external drive to place the video files onto my PC after I get home.

Thanks again!

Asking questions is fine. There are always people in this forum who will try to help. But the way to "make sure" is to try it. And don't wait until you're almost ready to leave. We already get too many questions of the "Help! I'm leaving for South America tomorrow, and ..." sort.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

diverhank
Authority

There shouldn't be any problems for what you're planning to do.  A video file is a video file - both the PC and Mac will be happy with the files.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Great! Thank you Diverhank.
Announcements