cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with lens

GeraltOfRivia
Apprentice

So I just bought the Canon EOS 2000D 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and I want to get into some astrophotography. I'm looking at two lenses right now and I need help figuring out which one to get because I have no idea about cameras and lenses. 

Here are the two lenses:

3.JPG

4.JPG

The first one is a bit  more expensive than the second one, so I just want to know if there is a big difference and if the second one will do a good job. Right now I'm most likely going to try to take pictures of the moon and maybe Jupiter and Saturn, but in the future I might invest more and get Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer 2i Pro Pack for some long exposure shots and try to get some deep space pictures of nebulas. Will the second lens be able to produce nice pictures of planetary objects and deep space objects? Or should I spend the extra money and get the first lens?

[links removed per forum guidelines and replaced with screengrabs to facilitate discussion]

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

The first lens isn't very "long" at 135mm. The Canon 75-300 is not one of Canon's best efforts. It's low priced so they can offer it as a kit lens.

If the Rokinon is in your financial range then I woukld suggest this lens:

Telephoto Zoom | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM | Canon USA

6.JPG

If your budget goes higher here is a longer option:

5.JPG

[links removed per forum guidelines and replaced with screengrabs to facilitate discussion]

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You probably could not have picked any two worse lenses for astro work.

Rokinon does make a few lenses that a lot of guys use for astrophotogrphy. The Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Lens For Canon EF is one. For Moon shots the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 for Canon EF can be a good choice. I prefer it over the Sigma C model as the big Tammy is slightly more sharp. But either will do nicely. For nebulae you need dedicated astro gear.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Look at my images of the recent conjunction with my 150-600 mm lens.

You will need at least 800 - 1000 mm of FF focal length to see what you want to see with any detail.

Announcements