cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with camera connection

tfgb
Apprentice

Hello all!  I need help with the set-up of my new 80d.  Specifically with tethering via USB to my computer.  I downloaded recommended software for my W10 (64bit)- then attempt to connect my camera.  When doing so via usb either a- nothing will happen or b- the camera will display error 70.  Of note, the camera will connect via WiFi, however I'm attempting to use this for videoing/streaming etc and it creates a large discrepency with the wifi delay and my audio.  

I did disable the wifi when attempting to connect with USB.  I would appreciate any and all help ya'll could provide me with.  Also- I have used this cable for another camera previously therefore should have the appropriate data transport cables internally.  

Thanks again!

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Sounds like you are trying to use "Live View"?  For everyone's benefit..  What "recommended" software did you download?  Is this the latest version?

EOS 3.7.0?

General recommendations / questions:

-The cable you use does matter, try testing with a different cable

-Do not use a hub (powered or unpowered)

-Connect to USB 2.0 port on the PC (the camera's bus is 2.0)

-Try turning windows firewall off, then connect and power on the camera

-Are you uisng AV software besides Windows Defender? If so, disable temporarily

-What kind of SD card are you using (brand / model)? Full size or micro w/ adaper?

-Have you tried on another PC?

Post your answers and results.  We are happy to try and help.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am not a video guy but I have friends and a niece that are.  I will give you my thoughts about it.  First a DSLR like the 80D is not a video camera.  It isn't designed for web streaming and the such.  If I am understanding you correctly, expect it to overheat relatively quickly. You're better off with a regular video camera that is designed for video.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tim
Authority

Hello tfgb, 

The software which is supplied with the EOS 80D does not support the camera for tethering for streaming purposes.  The camera is not designed to be used as a web cam.  If you do wish to use the camera in this manner, you will need to look into third party solutions as there are no Canon supported methods to make this work as you describe.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements