cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Canon camera

laraflanagan
Apprentice

HI.  Camera was working fine and it seems as if the lens is locked (ie it won't move or focus) and wont' take photos.  Does anyone have any suggesions.  It is as 1200D

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@laraflanagan wrote:

HI.  Camera was working fine and it seems as if the lens is locked (ie it won't move or focus) and wont' take photos.  Does anyone have any suggesions.  It is as 1200D

Thank you

Wild guess.  Check out post #3 by Julius, Canon Product Expert.

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/Autofocus-not-working-18-55mm-lens/m-p/138114#M5459

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you so much

Lens is now focussing manually so I suspect it is the lens

From this post and others I suspect it is cheaper to buy a new lens so will look into that when I have access to Canon stores as am fairly remote at the moment

Thank you

Lara

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

In normal "one shot" mode it will not take a photo until it can confirm that it has focused on a subject.  Switch the lens to manual focus (just as a test) to see if it will "take" a photo.

If it does take a photo, then it means the issue is more likely that your lens auto-focus has a problem.  (It confirms that the reason the camera wouldn't take the shot is because it couldn't confirm focus.)

"Why" a lens might have a focus problem doesn't necessarily indicate a problem with the lens.  If there isn't enough light, this would be normal.   If there's lots of light (mid-day, outside, in the sun, etc.) then it might indicate a failure in the lens.

If you have more than one lens, you can swap to another lens to see if the camera still has an issue.

The camera has two independent focus systems... one is used when you use the viewfinder (put your eye to the viewfinder to look through the lens when taking the shot ... in other words the "normal" way) the other is used when you switch to "live view" mode (using the LCD screen to compose the shot.)

It is extremely rare to actually have a genuine problem with the focus sensors on the camera.  The more likely issue is a problem with the lens (that's where the moving parts are ... more likely to fail).     

If it is actually a lens failure, then you have to decide if it's better to send the lens in for repair... or just replace the lens.  Labor (hours spent correcting the problem) are expensive.  So for entry level lenses it is usually cheaper to replace them.  For very high end lenses it is usually cheaper to repair them.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you so much.  Lens is now focussing manually but no ability to focus automatically. 

I am new to this so suspect it is the lens and time to get a new one. 

I am currently in small village in Costa Rica so might have to wait a little while!

Thank you so much for your help. 

I think it is the lens and hopefully not the camera

Will check when I can get a new lens

thank you very much

Lara

Announcements