cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me pick 80D vs 7D mk ii

Mpls_Funk
Apprentice

Hi all,

Brand new to the forum.  Looking forward to learn from all of you.  I'm looking for some advice, and I'm sure this is hot debate!

I have been using a T2i for several years.  It was my first DSLR.  I mainly use it with the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and the Canon 55-250 IS (first version), and sometimes the "nifty fifty."  The majority of my pictures are of our kids playing sports.  I have two girls playing volleyball (indoors) and a son playing lacrosse (usually outdoors, but sometimes indoors).  Obviously the indoor sports is a bit of a challenge.  I typically have to shoot ISO 1600 or 3200 with shutter speeds ~1/160 to maybe 1/320 if I'm lucky.  I get "decent" results.  Meaning, most of the other parents are impressed with the pictures.  And sure, they are a lot better than in iPhone.

However, I am noticing that I'm missing more shots.  I pretty much have to guess at the timing for VB since my burst rate is only 3 fps and that's too slow.  So I do my best to guess when the ball will impact or whatever.  Sometimes I get lucky.  I also still get some motion blur as 1/250 just isn't fast enough in several instances.  I also find the camera just doesn't focus fast enough in some cases.

So, I'm looking to upgrade.  I orginally had my sights on the 7D mk ii, primarily due to it's great 10 fps.  It is also just a better built camera and has better image quality and much better focusing than my T2i.  But then I started researching the 80D.  From what I read, it probably has even better image quality than the 7D mk ii, but does not have as fast of burst rate (7 fps) and the autofocus system probably isn't as good as the 7D mk ii.

Keep this in perspective - I am not a professional!  I am not selling any of my pictures.  They are already good enough to impress most of the other parents and the kids.  I have never done video with my camera.  That's not to say I never will, but, I probably won't.  I do like to take pictures of nature...landscapes, trees, leaves, water falls, etc.

So - what camera should i upgrade to?  I'm wondering, since I'm not professional, will I notice the improved focus system of the 7D mk ii over the 80D?  Is it that much better?  If not, then is the only advantage of the 7D mk ii that of the faster burst rate?  And if I then say I can live with the 7-8 fps of the 80D, but get cleaner images both now and when doing nature stuff...is that the right move?  Or, in reality, is the image quality of the 80D not that much better than the 7D?  so then, I should opt for the faster burst and better focus system?

Hope this make sense - I look forward to your suggestions.  Seems like I can get either camera used for about the same price right now.  I also plan to get the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC to replace my Canon 55-250.  I might also get the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC to replace my Tamron 15-50 f/2.8.

25 REPLIES 25

Budgets are a real factor trade offs are inevitable. 

80d vs. 7d 

70-200 2.8 Canon vs 70-200 f/4 Canon vs. 70-200 2.8 Tamron. 

I would gladly take an 80d over a 7d if it meant I could stretch to get better glass; the two bodies are so similar.   

The best compromise would be 80d and Canon 2.8. 

The Canon 70-200 2.8 is a really great lens. Better than the f/4. Better than the also good Tamron. 

If I couldn't have the Canon 2.8 I'd go for the Tamron 2.8 over the Canon f/4. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

Budgets are a real factor trade offs are inevitable. 

80d vs. 7d 

70-200 2.8 Canon vs 70-200 f/4 Canon vs. 70-200 2.8 Tamron. 

I would gladly take an 80d over a 7d if it meant I could stretch to get better glass; the two bodies are so similar.   

The best compromise would be 80d and Canon 2.8. 

The Canon 70-200 2.8 is a really great lens. Better than the f/4. Better than the also good Tamron. 

If I couldn't have the Canon 2.8 I'd go for the Tamron 2.8 over the Canon f/4. 

I think whatever post processing software you use should be part of the lens selection process.  If someone is using Canon's DPP software, then they should definitely stick to Canon. 

In fact, my general rule is to stick with Canon lenses, except for the places where there are holes in Canon's lineup.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

msaardvark
Apprentice

Here I am almost a year after you posted your dilemna and I'm in the same place. I have a T3i and a 5D MIII. I want to upgrade from the T3i but don't want another full frame at this time. I want the APS for the crop factor to use with my super telephoto lens. I don't need opinions on lenses as I don't anything other than Canon even though some are not L lenses or they are older L lenses and not as good as the newer versions.

What did you decide, the 7D II or the 80D? And are you happy with your selection?

I don't take videos and I shoot in RAW almost exclusively. I don't shoot much in the way of action but occasionally and it would be animals. I do like the articulating LCD screen and have been glad to have it on occasion but I'm using the 5D MIII so much which doesn't have one and I haven't missed it. I think my biggest concern is noise at higher ISO's and I'm thinking of weight (1/2 lb difference) because by the time you add a heavy lens it gets pretty heavy.

Thanks in advance.

@msaardvark wrote:

Here I am almost a year after you posted your dilemna and I'm in the same place. I have a T3i and a 5D MIII. I want to upgrade from the T3i but don't want another full frame at this time. I want the APS for the crop factor to use with my super telephoto lens. I don't need opinions on lenses as I don't anything other than Canon even though some are not L lenses or they are older L lenses and not as good as the newer versions.

What did you decide, the 7D II or the 80D? And are you happy with your selection?

I don't take videos and I shoot in RAW almost exclusively. I don't shoot much in the way of action but occasionally and it would be animals. I do like the articulating LCD screen and have been glad to have it on occasion but I'm using the 5D MIII so much which doesn't have one and I haven't missed it. I think my biggest concern is noise at higher ISO's and I'm thinking of weight (1/2 lb difference) because by the time you add a heavy lens it gets pretty heavy.

Thanks in advance.

I've never used, or even seen, an 80D, so consider the source. But one factor that could conceivably influence your decision is that the controls on a 7D Mark II are virtually identical to those on a 5D Mark III, effectively removing any learning curve.

"Proof" of the above: A couple of years ago my wife and I were out on my cousin's sailboat, and I had gotten up to steer the boat, leaving my 5D3 on the seat next to my wife. She accidentally picked it up and used it for an hour or so, thinking it was her 7D2. And FWIW, she too is sensitive to a camera's weight. The main reason she has a 7D2 is that she refuses to carry a full-frame camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you Robert. That is one of my considerations and even thought it might be a problem in that I would accidentally use the wrong camera (like your wife)!! Right now both cameras are on sale and the 7D II heavily discounted which makes me wonder if Canon is going to replace it. Still thinking.....

@msaardvark wrote:

Thank you Robert. That is one of my considerations and even thought it might be a problem in that I would accidentally use the wrong camera (like your wife)!! Right now both cameras are on sale and the 7D II heavily discounted which makes me wonder if Canon is going to replace it. Still thinking.....

I, for one, would be a little surprised if Canon did not announce a 7D Mark III before the end of the year.  

The 7D2 is being heavily discounted because a couple of newer bodies are gviing it a run for its’ money.  The newer models have higher resolution, combined with the next generation Dual Pixel AF system.

If you want a 7D2, then go for it.  It still has significant advantages over the younger generation of bodies.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements