cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help identifying part on 80D (foam strip on bracket)

jtbeach
Apprentice

Can anyone help me identify this part (please see attached photo). When I replaced the focusing screen on my camera, I accidentally roughed up this foam strip on this bracket, and most of the foam ripped off. I think when the mirror flips open, it is designed to hit that piece of foam each time. The foam strip is attached to a small bracket that can be removed with two screws, and if possible, I may just try to buy a replacement part but I can't seem to identify what it is called or where to find that part. Or if that little strip of foam isn't really essential for functionality, maybe I won't mess with it. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Canon.jpg

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The part number might be different but the name might be the same.

Annotation 2020-08-10 183201.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... maybe I won't mess with it."

Yes you will.  Canon doesn't have the habit of putting parts in their cameras that are not needed.  This again proves the sayin', "Don't put anything smaller than a football in your mirror box."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

A while back I posted a high speed video of what happens when the mirror swings down. It is called "mirror slap" for a reason. You need the foam.

jtbeach
Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback. I found a used 80D mirror box online for pretty cheap (minus the motor, and the foam looks good on the used one), so I should be able to just take the part I need out and install it in my camera.

Good luck!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements