cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Please.... Not sure what the cause is

mykol
Apprentice

Hello All, First time Posting, long time Canon Fan. I'd like to preface this with the fact that i'm not a pro but not new to this either. I've been learning over the past few years by trial & error, reading and YouTube of course 🙂  Most of the time i can figure out why an image came out a particular way and how to correct for it, but this one baffles me and i'm looking for some feedback. The other day my daughter saw a bunny in the yard around dusk. I grabbed my camera (70D) which had the 100mmf/2.8L on it already and started taking pictures. i noticed that after shutter would fire, the image would "recenter" in the viewfinder. When i checked the images later,  I found that half of them had vertical movement.

IMG_1099.JPG

and some didn't, but still were not very sharp.

IMG_1100.JPG

Any Feedback would be helpfull. Thanks in Advance.

-MyKoL

3 REPLIES 3

Peter
Authority
Authority
Your shutter speed is 1/170 sec. With your camera 1/160 should work, but you may shake a little bit more than I do.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" i noticed that after shutter would fire, the image would "recenter" in the viewfinder."

Most likely your IS is faulty.  You may want to have the lens checked by Canon.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Based on reading about your camera "re-centering" the image after taking the shot, you might have an issue with the image stabilization on the lens.

Your 1/160th sec shutter speed is fast enough that the shot likely would have been fine without turning the IS system on.  The IS has motion sensors and if you move, it shifts internal optical elements to counter the movement of the camera to hopefully help you get a clean shot even with the movement.  It's not a guarantee... but it does boost the odds that the number of keepers will be higher.

So unless you were really moving the camera rather erratically and somewhat aggressively, I'm surprised you had a high number of blurred results.  This makes me wonder if the IS system isn't have a problem.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements