cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hazy whites 80D

lcribas58
Contributor

I just got an 80D, to use as a backup to a 70D, or vice versa.

When shooting interiors on sunny days all the white light coming in from the windows looks blurry and hazy.

I've had do go EV -3 or even -4 to get decent non hazy whites, but then everything is too dark, and when you edit it on Lightroom, there's noise all over the place.

Veri frustrating.

Is this a known issue?

Am I missing somehting?

Thanks guys

14 REPLIES 14

Peter
Authority
Authority
Raw samples?

Thanks. I'm away from my camera and laptop but will do soon

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Not only would it help to have samples, but also the EXIF data and what your metering was set to - spot, centre-weighted etc.

What would be particularly helpful is to have comparitive photos taken by the 70d and the 80d using the same lens and same settings - of the same subject.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks. I'm away from my laptop and my 70d is in for cleaning. But I'll publish some examples soon

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I've had do go EV -3 or even -4 to get decent non hazy whites, but then everything is too dark, and when you edit it on Lightroom, there's noise all over the place."

I am going to say that is a reasonable reaction to be expected. But we needs untouched samples as asked for.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

This board is not allowing me to import the raw originals, jpeg only. I've added the raws to this Dropbox folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nqimnzcu5bi31da/AAApwKRnfEI4sXseV9INQaH-a?dl=0

If you can't see the metadata (usually you can't on Dropbox), it's below.

All aperture priority, all partial metering.

Also, I've tried all sorts of editing on Lightroom, but nothing came close to fixing this.

IMG_110

ISO 250 - 10 mm - f/11 - 1/5 sec

IMG_116

ISO 200 - 13 mm - f/11 - 1/40 sec

IMG_126

ISO 200 - 10 mm - f/11 - 1/6 sec

IMG_183

ISO 160 - 14 mm - f/1 - 0.3 sec

IMG_192

iso 160 - 11 mm - f/11 - 1/5 sec

IMG_194

ISO 160 - 11 mm - f/11 - 1/30 sec

@lcribas58 wrote:

This board is not allowing me to import the raw originals, jpeg only. I've added the raws to this Dropbox folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nqimnzcu5bi31da/AAApwKRnfEI4sXseV9INQaH-a?dl=0

If you can't see the metadata (usually you can't on Dropbox), it's below.

All aperture priority, all partial metering.

Also, I've tried all sorts of editing on Lightroom, but nothing came close to fixing this.

IMG_110

ISO 250 - 10 mm - f/11 - 1/5 sec

IMG_116

ISO 200 - 13 mm - f/11 - 1/40 sec

IMG_126

ISO 200 - 10 mm - f/11 - 1/6 sec

IMG_183

ISO 160 - 14 mm - f/1 - 0.3 sec

IMG_192

iso 160 - 11 mm - f/11 - 1/5 sec

IMG_194

ISO 160 - 11 mm - f/11 - 1/30 sec

It is due to dynamic range. Nothing wrong with the camera.

1. Use speedlites to light up the dark room.
2. Create a High dynamic range (HDR) image. 80D has multi exposure feature. You can multi expose and merge in camera (average). You will get a CR2 file that is almost like a raw file.

Below you have 0126, 0192 and 0194. I have used Hraw to visualize the sensor clipping in the highlights.
White means all channels are clipped. Green means green channel, blue means blue channel and red means red channel. Cyan means green and blue. Yellow means green and red.
When all channels are clipped (white) you will not be able to recover anything. If one or two channels are clipped you may be able to reconstruced some details in the highlights.

In my opinion, 0194 is better exposed than 0192 is due to the highlights. Yes, you have more noise in the shadows in 0194 but nothing that bothers. If you merge (HDR) 0192+0194, you will have less noise in the shadows (the TV) and you will still have less highlights clipped in the window.

0126.gif

IMG_0126_0.jpg

IMG_0192_0.jpg
IMG_0194_0.jpg

IMG_194.png
multi80d.png

Thank you. I will try this.

(tried HDR merge in Lightroom and results weren't great, let's see if this HDR will work better)

I will also change the metering, in case "partial" was aggravating the issue

Also, all shots were taken with not one but two Speedlites (430 slave to 600)

Announcements