cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble with autofocus on 7D mark II

Reaston
Contributor
I cannot seem to get auto focus to work in any kind of tracking for stills or video and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I have my camera set to AI Servo mode, but it doesn't follow any action. I can auto focus by half depressing the shutter, but then have to keep doing that to refocus. When I first got the camera, this seemed to work, I can't imagine what I did or what I'm supposed to do to get it working again. I have tried playing with the AF-ON button, the M-Fn and that new toggle switch on the back, but nothing seems to engage it. I really want this to work for video, but as I said, I can't seem to get it going for stills either. I'm sure it is something really stupid on my part. Any help would be appreciated. And yes, my lenses have been set to AF!
56 REPLIES 56

I don't use video. I don't even know how to turn it on but I do a ton of birding. For AI Servo to track you need to keep the shutter half dpressed at all times or use BBF. I'm very comfortable using the shutter and have over time just developed the touch to keep it at the mid point after shooing burstts or single shots. I never liked the BBF but recently started to explore it on my 7D2 and am warming up to it.

Not sure how video works but for stills it needs to be working all the time or you need to refocus.

@digital wrote:
I don't use video. I don't even know how to turn it on but I do a ton of birding. For AI Servo to track you need to keep the shutter half dpressed at all times or use BBF. I'm very comfortable using the shutter and have over time just developed the touch to keep it at the mid point after shooing burstts or single shots. I never liked the BBF but recently started to explore it on my 7D2 and am warming up to it.

Not sure how video works but for stills it needs to be working all the time or you need to refocus.

What is BBF???

Back Button Focus.

thumbs up   Smiley Wink

I've been following the discussions on the subject of the autofocus issue on 7D Mark II since I bought my camera 2 months ago and I am very worried about it.  I have lost at least half of the night shots of night events such as birthday party  because of this problem. In Brazil the equipment cost 3 x more expensive than in the US and I made a big effort to buy this camera.

I would like to know if Canon is doing something to fix it  once I am desperate because I can not afford to switch camera again now and use manual focus is not an option. This is why I try "the faster camera"... In some sittuations is ridiculous how autofocus keep focus in other subject

I some cases is ridiculous as the camera can focus on another subject than the people in front of me ... Not contrast, brightness etc ... nothing would justify this decision to force the background and not focus in people 2 meter distance of  camera.

Anyone from Canon can PLEASE give us some help ?

Asaugusto,

With which specific lens are you experimenting AF issues and is this also happening in daylight conditions?

Maybe somebody can help you if you provide more details.

Ricci.

Seems to me like you are in Zone AF which is not a great idea for that sitution. I have found zone very good but I would not use it for low lite shooting at a wedding, etc. I like to be sure the AF point is where I want it, not where a computer thinks I want it.       

When shooting a wedding if my subjects don't move around I use one shot. I may not hear the beap but I can at laset see focus confirmation in the viewfinder. After a long day having to look in the viewfinder to make sure the subject/s are in focus is very tiring, for me anyway. If you set the multi controller to move the AF point around you can easily put it where you want it and avoid focus/recompose as much as possible. I set my camera up so the AF lever changes AF modes. If Canon offered a retro for that I'd pay to have it installed on my 5D3.     

If it is hunting like you say then you are lacking contrast in a low light situation. You must be using a flash for this? Is the AF assist light activated? I have 3 600 RT's and the transmitter. I won't use the transmitter for that. If I put a couple of flashes on stands I still have one on the camera for the AF assist and bounce it if I can. I may get the 430 RT for that because it is lighter and smalller. I have had occasioinal hunting but that is pretty rare.                       

Hi Digital,

yes I was using Zone AF when shot in low ligth conditions 

So now I enable one shot, case 1 ( versatile) definition multi-fins, AF servo priority (focus)

and just enable Point AF

So using the same configuration ( 1/250, ISO 1600 and flash on camera did some tests

So almos the same, when I shot 1 person 2 meters distance of camera sometimes the camera chose background to focus...

Of course that if I have time, I can correct it using manual focus or doing + 3 or 4 shots on the same scene changind a lithe bit the direction of focus.

So, with a good ligth conditions 10 in 10 shots ok without any problem...

what do you recomend ?

Thank you for the help and Regards

AF assist from your flash is not enabdled in AI Servo. I reccomend One Shot for that situation.  

This is interresting. Is there any DSLR out there capable of any continuous shooting and servo focusing in poor light conditions and using any flash beam (without is should be nearly impossible)? I didn't know this was even possible at date!!!

Asaugusto, did you have any better experience shooting in the same light conditions that the AF issue you are experimenting with the 7DM2 but with other camera in the APS-C domain?

I am asking because this is not my area, but would love to learn on this subject.

Ricci.

Announcements