cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone seen this on the in-viewfinder exposure indicator before (t2i / 550d)

parafly9
Apprentice

this all of a sudden appeared for me after restarting my camera. I've taken almost 45,000 images through the camera over the years. I am actually getting ready to sell it and all of a sudden my exposure indicator in the viewfinder looks all bizarre. 

I tried factory reset, new memory card, but it still looks the same. IS there a way to clean or fix this or is it just borked? 

Capture.JPG

2 REPLIES 2

Ray-uk
Whiz

Looks to me like either a fault with the LCD or the controlling electronics. Could be just a faulty connection on the cable but you would have to take it apart to find out.

In this case the fault is most likely with the LCD itself, problems with cabling or the display controller usually result in missing segments or missing comlete sections of the display but when portions of a segment are missing that is usually from a fault in the display itself.  I believe that the LCD display Canon is using in the viewfinder consists of discretely defined elements and indicators instead of being a full matrix display and on these when a portion of an defined element is missing then it usually from because the display suffered a mechanical shock (which can also come from thermal cycling due to a sudden rapid change in temperature).  But other times these displays just die from aging and you will sometimes see them "bleeding" between segments causing loss of indication where it should exist and new indicators where they should not exist.

I have restored some Soviet era electronics and they often have suffered similar faults making the LCD display relatively useless.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements