cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone had problems with the shutter speed on the Canon 70D?

kayvan66
Contributor
I am having problems with the shutter speed. On Manual, all is fine but on automatic, I seem to be unable to alter the shutter speed, it sticks between 1200-1700, on the other hand the flash not working too! and all the picture that i took in auto mode are dark. and I already did reset factory but not work!
I want to know if the camera is faulty in some way or if there is something that I should be doing which I am not. Please can anyone advise/inform me of what I may be doing wrong or whether this is something I should take up with Canon?
7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Automatic mode means the camera decides what are the best exposure settings.  One goal that I keep in mind when trying to capture sharp landscape pictures is to grab as much light as quickly as possible, which means using a high shutter speed.combined with a compromise between aperture and ISO. 

Have you ever heard of the "exposure triangle"?  When the camera sets shutter speeds in your noted range, what are the other setting: aperture and ISO? 

I think the camera is doing what it is supposed to do.  In fact, what I do is an imitation of what I have observed the camera do, which is put a priority on always using as high a shutter speed as practical, to get sharp photos.  Sometimes, you may want motion blur in your photos, though, like shooting a moving bicyclist.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

After looking the camera again I found some new problem.
Please check the below link:
http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/Problem-with-the-shutter-speed-and-aperture-range-in-auto-mode...

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Can you post one of the affected photos with the EXIF data attached? Or maybe just copy and paste the EXIF info from a picture or two? Have you set the camera to shoot at a high ISO level, or auto ISO? Which automatic modes are you using (green box, Program, TV, AV, etc.)?

After looking the camera again I found some new problem.
Please check the below link:
http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/Problem-with-the-shutter-speed-and-aperture-range-in-auto-mode...

You're overthinking it.  Is this your first DSLR camera?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Which "Automatic" setting? P? AV? Auto zone?

Try the menu item that resets the camera settings and try again.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You haven't provided us with enough information.  

What, precisely, do you mean by "automatic" mode.  Looking at the mode dial on the top of the camera... what setting are you using?

In true full automatic mode... you don't get a vote.  The camera decides everything and that's by design.

If you want to control shutter speed, then you have to choose either "M" (true manual mode) or "Tv" (Time value mode).  Tv mode (aka "shutter priority" mode) is a semi-automatic mode in that you get to choose the shutter speed and the camera will set the aperture.  The "catch" is that the camera lens is limited to a range of apertures and it's possible to choose a shutter speed where the correct aperture for the exposure is beyond what the lens can achieve. 

There is a feature in Program mode (P) called "program shift" which means the camera meters and suggests it's exposure just like using full automatic mode... EXCEPT it will allow you to "shift" through alternate exposures that collect the same amount of lgiht (e.g. decrease the aperture size but increase the exposure duration so the camera ultimately collects the same amount of light -- just with different settings).  However, unlike many other modes, the program-shift feature constrains your choices to exposure setting combinations which are actually available (it wont let you pick an exposure outside the range of of what your lens can achieve.)

Ultimatley this means you need some knowledge of how "exposure" works on a camera.

You might want to pick up a good primer on the topic such as the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.  This is  a book intended for those new to photographry (it's not advanced and it doesn't presume any prior knowledge or photography experience.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements