cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone been able to remove HDMI overlays from Canon EOS M10 when using it as a webcam?

platinummack
Contributor

If so, please advise

I know you can install some firmware from a 3rd party site but I don't trust it.

Magic Lantern or something

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@platinummack wrote:

If so, please advise

I know you can install some firmware from a 3rd party site but I don't trust it.

Magic Lantern or something

Do not, I repeat, do not install any changes to your firmware to allow it to be a webcam.  Your camera is electronically incapable of outputting clean HDMI without a major firmware change. Nothing is free.  You always give up something to gain something.

If you're trying to use the EOS Webcam Utility, here is a simple observation that I have made.  Does your camera support remote shooting with the regular EOS Utility.  If so, then your camera contains the ELECTRONICS to support that type of operation.  If your camera does not support remote shooting, then the EOS Webcam Utility will not be able to control it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Okay but I've seen people do it on Youtube

Are you saying that there's a risk of damage, if I make a firmware update? Damange to the existing firmware and to the functions of the camera potentially?

Lastly, the canon utility pack to turn the cam into a webcam does not support the EOS M10. 

SO I guess I can't or shouldn't use this as a webcam then huh?

Correct.  If the Webcam Utility does not list the M10 as being supported, then it will not work as a webcam, most especially if the camera does not support Remote Shooting with the regular EOS Utlity. 

Again, I do not advise installing 3rd party firmware in your camera.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements