cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anybody had the main flex circuit repaired in a Canon 5d?

bakerstreet
Apprentice

Last year I had the main flex circuit repaired on my Canon 5d. The camera just stopped working and would not turn on at all. I was never to learn what the cause of the failure of the circuit was. Is it possible that changing a lens without turning off the camera could cause harm?

The repair was done 10 months ago (9/2014) and the same thing happened a couple of days ago - the camera would not turn on.

I did all the usual troubleshooting - check the battery power, took the battery and the flash card out, switched lenses to no avail. I fear the same failure in my camera has occurred.

Has anybody had a similar experience?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mykolas
Authority

Hello bakerstreet!

Thanks for posting.

It is recommended that you turn the camera off before swapping lenses, but it is difficult to say if this is what caused the issues in this case.  I do know that sometimes the battery can be the cause if it is exhausted because of its age.  Have you tried another newer battery in the camera?  If the camera does not power on with another newer battery, then this is something that needs to be repaired by the Factory Service Center.

To start the repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website. 

Alternatively, since the camera is more than a year old, you have the option to participate in the Canon Loyalty Program instead.

The Canon Loyalty Program option allows you to replace your current camera for a discounted fee, plus shipping.  The original non-functioning camera would then be returned to Canon USA for recycling using a prepaid shipping label that would be provided.  

If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at 866-443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with online support and the Canon Loyalty Program was offered.  Be sure to have your serial number for your camera at the time of your call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Mykolas
Authority

Hello bakerstreet!

Thanks for posting.

It is recommended that you turn the camera off before swapping lenses, but it is difficult to say if this is what caused the issues in this case.  I do know that sometimes the battery can be the cause if it is exhausted because of its age.  Have you tried another newer battery in the camera?  If the camera does not power on with another newer battery, then this is something that needs to be repaired by the Factory Service Center.

To start the repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website. 

Alternatively, since the camera is more than a year old, you have the option to participate in the Canon Loyalty Program instead.

The Canon Loyalty Program option allows you to replace your current camera for a discounted fee, plus shipping.  The original non-functioning camera would then be returned to Canon USA for recycling using a prepaid shipping label that would be provided.  

If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at 866-443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with online support and the Canon Loyalty Program was offered.  Be sure to have your serial number for your camera at the time of your call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements