cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has any one else had problems with the EOS 7D MKII back focus button?

Hugh_T
Apprentice

I upgraded from the 7D to the MKII last year and all went fine until a few weeks ago. Now, when I use back button focus, the focus point jumps to the centre while focusing then back to the point I chose. This doesn't happen if I assign the AE lock button to focusing but I prefer to use both independantly.

I'm fairly sure I may have change something in the settings but can't locate it. The other option is a hardwear fault.

I'm sure there's a genius out there with an answer.

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Set it back to factory defaults.  In the menu "Clear all settings".  Then start all over.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Set it back to factory defaults.  In the menu "Clear all settings".  Then start all over.

Yeah, you're probably right; it's the expedient action. But I can understand why Hugh was hoping that someone could come up with the exact setting that got munged. Recovering from "Clear all settings" can be a tedious process.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Set it back to factory defaults.  In the menu "Clear all settings".  Then start all over."

That was one of the first things I tried. Unfortunately the MKII backup battery is internal so I'm not able to do a full reboot.

The internal battery should only keep things like the date and time set, etc.  Clear all settings and perhaps Clear all Personal settings should do it.  I have sold my 7D and I don't have a 7D Mk II so I am unfamiliar with the exact menus.  Somebody else (Bob from Boston) should be able to tell you exactly how.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

cicopo
Elite

I'm pretty sure you've set it to do that & can reverse that setting in one of the AF menus. Get your manual out & read up on just what you want it to do & you'll likely find where you went wrong. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

One more thought to check. Does it do the same thing in both One Shot & AI Servo? Maybe you switched between them to have it react as it now does.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements