cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware Feature Request: EOS R with SIM Card Slot

livestreamer
Enthusiast
5G is coming, and so is livestreaming.

Please can future versions of the EOS R include a SIM Card Slot so that the device can connect to a 5G mobile internet relayers, and stream uncompressed 4K with Stereo Audio.

Now *that* would be quite something.

No more cables, no more WiFi, no more BlackMagic, no more Sony.
27 REPLIES 27

@livestreamer wrote:

Please can future versions of the EOS R include a SIM Card Slot so that the device can connect to a 5G mobile internet relayers, and stream uncompressed 4K with Stereo Audio.

No, Canon, please don't. Some (many?) of us are getting fed up with the added size, weight, and cost of cameras with features useful only to those shooting video. By all means, start making smaller and cheaper video cameras (if it's technically feasible to do so), but please stop foisting these "improvements" on still photographers.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob,

I'm glad you brought it up.  Have to say that I agree with you.  Let's keep still image cameras focused on taking pictures and camcorders focused on full power video.

If my DSLR can do some video, great, but I don't need 8K in a still camera.  Now maybe a R5 could have been been $3400 (like it should have been from the get go).  I'd much rather have GPS, but power is still an issue for mirrorless. 

Wirelss streaming sounds like a great feature for a camcorder, but not something most professional still image photographers would want or even need at this juncture.       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@livestreamer wrote:

Believe it or not, it has been tried before and it flopped.  Samsung introduced their Galaxy Camera [in 2012].  It was a resounding  failure, which probably explains why marjor camera manufacturers have not gone down that path.

43CD1FA8-0DD0-4A50-A842-77F772334AC1.jpeg

It flopped because it was too big.  More accurately, it was too thick to fit your pocket.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

livestreamer
Enthusiast
@Waddizzle it's not the same thing.

Putting a better camera in a smartphone is one thing.

But connecting these new mirrorless sensors direct to the livestream, instead of local storage... the opportunities would be endless.

Re: stills cameras vs. camcorders debate... I think Canon stopped being a "stills-only" product when it lost the mirror. Perhaps some of you in the forum still didn't lose the mirror, but once things go mirrorless, they stop being intrinsically linked to an archaic and analogue mechanism for capturing light.

People will demand live will demand extreme high quality imagery and sound... and the EOS R can supply this... so let's get the content flowing live, instead of being stuck on a SD Card, waiting for Post-production.

@livestreamer wrote:

Actually, it is the same thing.  Adding a SIM chip to a camera so it can connect to phone networks makes it a smartphone.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@livestreamer wrote:

Actually, it is the same thing.  Adding a SIM chip to a camera so it can connect to phone networks makes it a smartphone.

Besides, do you have any idea how much extra cost that would add to the cost of a camera?  Hundreds, is my guess.

Removing the SD Card slot and replacing with a SIM Card slot would probably add some additional cost in the short-term - I acknowledge this. Thank you.

So, my laptop has a SIM chip... is that then also a smartphone? Also, my motorbike has a SIM chip... is that also a smartphone? 😉
Announcements