cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP !!!! my os does not work with disc

vickihopp
Contributor

When I installed the EOS DIGITAL SOLUTION DISK for my brand new 7d mark ii a window popped up stating:

this software is not compatible with your operating system

I am using an old dell running fine with XP, is there a way to bypass this, I already have photo prof., eos utility etc. from my rebels.....

ANY and ALL assistance would greatly be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Having been forced to upgrade too because I do need to process RAW images from the 7D2 using Photoshop I can say my upgrades went well. I bought Win 8.1 & did a clean install on a new hard drive & waited for Win 10 to come out & learned which of my older programs would still work. Once 10 was readily available I did another clean install to another new hard drive & as a 64 bit install (added 16 gigs of memory too) & things have been great when working in Photoshop BUT for anyone processing 7D2 CR2's check which camera profile looks best. By default it chooses an Adobe profile which works nicely with my other camera files but Camera Standard looks better with 7D2 files.

(My computer has provisions for 5 internal drives & I have 5. I can easily re boot to XP or Win 8.1 if I need to use one of my older programs but so far I've been  fine running Win 10 on my desktop & XP on my laptop.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Anyone with W7 can upgrade to W10 for free up until mid-2016; one year after the release of W10. And, they give 30 days to try it and if there are problems they can roll back to W7. After 30 days the W7 files are erased. 

I had had issues with W10 and my monitor. It wouldn't recognize the monitor (a LaCie 320) and thus wouldn't load the Xrite profile. I had to do it manually each time computer rebooted. 

I saw saw no pluses to W10 and thus reverted back to W7. 

Now that you mention it, I realize I was in error. Indeed, there have been complaints from system managers that Microsoft makes it too easy for their users to bypass corporate policies and upgrade their Windows 7 systems to Windows 10. Strictly speaking, though, it may not be accurate to call it a free upgrade. All Microsoft updates to Windows 7 computers are free, but my understanding is that that's not the case (or soon won't be) with Windows 10. The story goes that at some point Windows 10 users will have to go on subscription or no longer receive updates. Darker versions of the story imply that your Windows 10 installation will go dead if your subscription lapses.

I do think there are some advantages to Windows 10 (and even to Windows 8.1) over Windows 7. But they're mostly cosmetic and probably beyond the scope of this discussion.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:
...Unless the OP's "old Dell" is one of the most powerful XP machines on the planet, I'd be very surprised if Windows 10 is usable on it...

When the OP said "upgrade to Win10" I assumed they were anticipating both a hardware and software upgrade. Just went thru the same process several months ago when my XP desktop conked out and I was a little strapped for "disposable income". A local shop offered me a good deal on a Win7 Ultimate machine and the changeover went pretty smoothly. Some of my older software had to be installed in Comparability Mode but it's been running smoothly since. But there was no 64 bit software upgrade available for my 10+ year old Canon scanner, not surprisingly.

I assumed that my new PC running Win7 was upgradable to Win10 since MS reminds me several times a week that I can upgrade for free, at least for a couple more months. Smiley Frustrated

Thanks I will give it a try when I go back onto desktop

Announcements