Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

HDR Video Vs Log-C Shootout on 5D MkIV?

As both increase dynamic range, I'm wondering if anyone else has done a shootout?

I've done some tests myself and I'm preferring the HDR video at the moment. Wondering if I'm crazy or not. So far I get better detail and colour with HDR no matter how I grade the C-Log footage.

I'm kinda new to playing with these formats, so I could be doing something wrong, I guess.

So far I've taken a strongly backlit scene and have been doing test shots at different aperatures. The clapper has colour chips on it that I have been using for matching. Because the HDR shoots at 50p instead of 25p, I've been allowing the HDR footage an extra stop to be comparable to the C-Log footage at 25p.

Even with adjustment of in-camera settings for C-Log, it's soft on detail and has a colour-shift towards cyan. I'm shooting to internal cards rather than using the uncompressed HDMI out, so I'm still in 8 bit territory.

Anyone else?

Markus

Occasional Contributor

Re: HDR Video Vs Log-C Shootout on 5D MkIV?

How many Stops do you have already for your video?