cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grainy images

Fay
Contributor

I understand that grain can come from multiple sources, but... I have a new 7D MKII. I like functionality and controls. What I have been having issues with is grain. My main question is this: Can a camera be defective in a way that grainy pictures are the result?

I changed for a 1D to the 7D, because as I get older the 1D got more uncomfortable to handle. (Probably my worse decision in a long time.) So I went from a professional to a proconsumer camera, got that. Also went from 1.3 to 1.6 multiplier sensor (or smaller sensor), got that.

I did a series of test shoots with my camera and my brother's 7D MKII shooting the same image at 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, and 6400 ISOs. Cameras was on a Canon 600mm lens and then with same len and the 1.4 extender. Grain wasn't an issue.

As most problems with computer driven equipment it is probably operator error, but if there is a possibility it could be the hardware I need to know so I can get this resolved. This isn't my first camera, but it is beginning to feel that way.

Thank you. Fay

12 REPLIES 12

Sample images would help.

BTW, when you use RAW, many of those options you are choosing are not applied. Things like white balance, lens aberration correction, color space, etc. are all things that are only applied to JPEG images... But not RAW. When you shoot RAW its up to your computer software to apply those adjustments.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I didn't find objectionable grain, but If I understand your first post correctly one of the Mark IIs produces results you are happy with and one doesn't. Is that correct? If so, you need to identify what the differences are in the two set ups so you can make both setups the same.

Your statement about the results between the 1D and the 7D sound like what the link I provided is discussing. The confusion to me is that you find the second 7D better under the same conditions. can you post an image from each camera taken under the same conditions.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"The confusion to me is that you find the second 7D better under the same conditions."

This is where I am losing it , also. Are absolutely sure both cameras and set up is exactly the same?  You are not complaining about focus but extra grainyness so it is not micro-adjustment.  Grain is really something that is not adjustable.

I will say again and can not stress this point enough, the photos from the 1D and from the 7D Mk II will never look the same.

They are not only two totally different designs, they are worlds apart.  Nothing is comparable.

Can you make a side by side, one 7D vs the other 7D same subject and conditions and post the two shots here?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements