cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grainy-Noisy even at low iso

mrsr3
Apprentice

So I have been having an issue w/grain-noise when shooting at a higher ISO (other than say 100!) 

Today, I rented a camera/lens thinking well maybe it's my camera - but alas, I have the same issue with the rented one.

The camera is a Canon 5D IV - my go to lens is a Sigma Art 85 mm Prime.

I took my daughter out into the shade on purpose, different settings, different places, etc, all the same issue... grain/noise.  Unless I shoot at 100 iso... which we all know isn't possible.  I have studied, I've had a camera in my hand all my life, what am I doing wrong? Same with my husband, we are both stumped.  His 7d has less noise! what! am I doing! I'm sure when you tell me I'll have a "duh" moment.  The pictures aren't as bad when I export them as jpgs, but in LR RAW - they are horrible.  This camera should be spot on with noise even at extremely high iso.  I had to export it at 65% so I could import it here.Sarah Test my camera (26 of 62).jpg

here are the settings for this picture, and it was taken in full shade.  The only "adjustments" I made were to make it smaller on export so I could upload it here.

iso250
85mm lens
f 7.1
1/200 sec

11 REPLIES 11

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

The only problem I am seeing is you are just a little bit front focused which is critical given your close proximity to your daughter.

I downloaded the image and increased it to 100 percent magnification and I am not seeing anything that I would call typical iso related noise.

Maybe someone else will see what I am missing.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thank you, I'm starting to wonder if it's my computer/monitor?

It looks like a really nice image (both posing/framing and technical capture) to me.  Others should weigh in shortly or if you are on Facebook try the Canon users group or some other photo group which probably has more participants (but a "wider" mixture of quality of participants 😞  ) than you will find here.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Very nice picture, Looks like you focused on your daughters hands which I think gives a very plesent softness to her face.  As others said I don't see anything wrong with this fine picture.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First off, this is a beautiful shot of a beautiful young lady.  I wish I had taken it.  Second you as the photographer are always the toughest critic.

I also d/l it into PS.  I did apply a small amount of unsharp mask but take a look at this 200% crop of the black skirt.  Dark, shadow type areas is where noise shows up most.  Do you see any noise?

black.jpg

I don't. 

I used to own the Siggy Art 85mm f1.4 and I can say from experience sometimes a lens can be too sharp. Especially for certain subjects.  Sometimes you might mistake that sharpness for noise.

May I suggest, when you import into LR, use a preset to apply lens correction along with any metadata you like. Use ISO 200 for shots like this.  You used manual mode and an aperture of 7.1?  Seems odd but OK.  I try to keep shots like this under f8.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you!

Where in this image are you seeing the noise? Maybe you could upload a 100%, small, cropped shot of the area.

Are you possibly viewing the image at over 100% magnification on your monitor when you see the noise?

I do see a lot more noise on my computer than on my husbands - time for an ew one 🙂

"Where in this image are you seeing the noise?"

I, too, would like you to point out exactly where you see the noise or grain.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements