cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grad ND Filters

Lillieb
Apprentice

first time buyer off ND Grad Filters for my EOS 6D - some advice would be very welcome. Thank you.

21 REPLIES 21

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I suppose neither of you read this, " I agree a polarizer is likely the most difficult to master ..."  It does depend on how advanced you are in the use of PS.

In some cases HDR is used to enhance the ND filter effect.  Highlights can easily be captured and even the very darkest parts in a shot.

I don't intend on giving a class on how to use PS here on the Canon forum.  If you want to learn how to use PS check into courses by some of the best like Ben Wilmore.  There you can learn how.  You can even put a frog where a frog can't be seen! Smiley Happy

You're conflating the word "difficult" with the word "impossible". Adding a frog is not the same thing as exposing a frog that is already there. Ask the photographers who have been kicked out of journalism for inserting or deleting an item in a scene.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

B from B,

"You're conflating the word "difficult" with the word "impossible".

Not really.  My take is it is possible.  Factual wasn't part of the question.  It is "possible" to even make a photo with out the camera.  Let alone with out any filters!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

As most of the consensus form above is, filters are mostly obsolete.  Learning and how adapt you are at post processing is by far the best way to go.

"The only filters that can not be duplicated with digital technique are a polarizing filter and a regular ND filters."

This statement is only true depending on how well you know how to use editors like Photoshop or not.  This person probably doesn't know how.  I agree a polarizer is likely the most difficult to master in post but it is possible.  It does take advanced skills in PS and a lot of time so I generally still use a polarizer, occasionally.  However I never use any of the several dozen filters I had for my film gear.  They now collect dust and are doing a fine job of it.

A gradient filter is one of the easiest filters to duplicate in post.  It even has a tool built in.   An ND usually requires layers to accomplish but is also possible.  The polerizer requires the use of channels and layers.

If you have a reflection of cars in the street in a window, there is no way you can simulate the effect of a polarizing filter eliminating that reflection and showing you what is inside of the building. 

While you can simulate slow shutter speeds that you get using an ND filter by layerying photos of a waves or a water fall, I don't believe you can effectively simulate the shallow depth of field of using a wide f/1.4 aperture on a sunny day where you needed an ND filter to get the shutter speed below 1/8000. 

You need to learn how to use Photoshop.  If you don't take a college level course, you can get some good insights on the net.  Better yet invest in the courses by Ben Wilmore.  He is amazing.

I don't intend on giving a PS tutorial here on the forum.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

You need to learn how to use Photoshop.  If you don't take a college level course, you can get some good insights on the net.  Better yet invest in the courses by Ben Wilmore.  He is amazing.

As some perceptive commentator once said, "When you find yourself in a hole you can't get out of, stop digging."

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

As some perceptive commentator once said, "When you find yourself in a hole you can't get out of, stop digging."

Yep

As for Photoshop tutorials, my daughter has a Bachelor's Degree in Visual Communication Design which includes extensive training in the entire Adobe Creative Suite and works full time in that field, if I decide I need any training in Photoshop I'll just ask her.

"... I need any training in Photoshop I'll just ask her."

Good idea. Smiley Happy

EB

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Back on the topic of ND grads...

The grads typically come in 1 stop, 2 stop, and 3 stop versions... and they also use have an option for a "hard edge" vs. a "soft edge" grad.

The 1, 2, and 3 stop difference indicates how much light is blocked by the half of the filter that is tinted.  The idea is that you'd meter the light area (presumably that would be the sky) then meter the dark area (presumably that would be the foreground) and note the difference in the exposure.  This tells you which grad strength to select.

Next is the issue of "soft" vs. "hard".  Both filters have a gradual transition (hence the name "grad") but a "hard" grad has a rapid transition from clear to dark whereas the "soft" has a much slower transition.  If you're shooting a scene where with a very clear and clean separation of foreground vs. sky (the scene has a horizon line) then a "hard" edge grad usually is the better choice.  If the scene has no strong "horizon line" (elements from the foreground cross the horizon and reach into the "sky" part of the shot) then a "hard" edge grad would look wonky because you'd notice foreground objects having a very obvious transition point.  A "soft" edge grad is gentle enough that the viewer probably wont notice the objects are darkened near the top (or whichever direction you decide to orient the filter).

For a full-frame camera, the 100mm filter width (4") is the appropriate size (they do come in sizes).  

You'll need a filter holder... Cokin makes them and Lee Filters make them.  Lee Filter is a high-end brand, their filters are better and their holders have more options.  Cokin will be cheaper (they're a budget name) and they wont have as many options.  However... for the basic 100mm (4" width) holder, they'll both work well.

Lastly... can you do this in post-processing or do you need the real filter?

That last question is really an issue of total dynamic range.  What you definitely don't want to do is allow the information in your image to "clip" (aka "blown" highlights is usually the problem.)  That means if you look at the histogram that represents the distribution of data in your image, the histogram often resembles something that looks like the silhouette of a mountain range on a graph.  If one side of that "mountain" is chopped off (either at the left or right edge of the histogram) then it means you lost data that can never be recovered (that's something you cannot fix in Photoshop... unless you're a talaneted artist and can make a really convincing fake.)

This means that if your camera has enough dynamic range to capture whatever the scene needs, then you don't need a physical filter.  If the exposure range of the scene exceeds the dynamic range of the camera then a filter would be helpful as it buys you several additional stops worth of range.

Ernie mentioned the use of HDR (HDR = High Dynamic Range photography).  In HDR you should use a tripod and the subject should preferably not be moving.  You'll take several photographs of the same subject... but each photograph is taken using a different exposure.    One of the photographs should be taken using the overall recommended exposure (if you use "evaluative metering" then you use the suggested exposure).  Typically you would take at least two additional photos... one is usually deliberately over-exposed by a few stops (often 2 or 3) and the other is typically underexposed by a few stops.

You can then "merge" the three shots.  The camera evaluates the middle exposure and finds the brightest and darkest pixels.  It then borrows pixels from the over-exposed and under-exposed versions of the shot to integrate into the final exposure and this creates a result where nothing is over-exposed or under-exposed.

I'm not sure about the 6D, but several cameras have a built-in HDR mode.  There are many options as to how you process an HDR image and some look rather surreal while others look natural.  It is possible to make HDR exposures that look very convincing (they don't "look" like HDR shots) and this is a way to get the shot without using filters at all.

But the one caveat to HDR is that it really helps if nothing in the scene is moving.  If objects are moving through the scene then you don't get three (or more) shots with identical scenes (just different exposures) but you end up with three completely different shots that creates "ghosting" problems (like a double-exposure) when you try to merge them.  Some of the better software has anti-ghosting algorithms that try to detect and correct this.  Since a shot taken with a grad ND filter gets everything in a single exposure, object movement in the scene is not a problem.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Peter
Authority
Authority

@Lillieb wrote:

first time buyer off ND Grad Filters for my EOS 6D - some advice would be very welcome. Thank you.

graduerat-gråfilter_MG_6715.jpg
I use Tiffen ND grad made of glass. I use Lee filter holder. Glass is expensive but will last the rest of your life if you don't drop it. Formatt-Hitech also makes glass filters.

This picture was taken with a plastic filter from Hitech (Formatt-Hitech these days) with hard edge. My plastic filter has lots of scratches and you can see the reflections from the sun in the middle. Also notice the dark part abote to the right in the picture.

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
I agree with every comment, I only utilize a good CP - Hoya, and Hoya NDs, however my only reason for an ND is a very long exposure that I need to stop beyond the camera setting.

I went to a photo class where the two instructors were big on external grad NDs, after seeing what most PPS vendors have I never understood with the flexibility they have why one would bother.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements