Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a 5D III? Show us your photos!

Fricks
Apprentice

PHOTOS TAKEN DOWN UNTIL THIS STATEMENT IS REVISED 

Proprietary Rights
Please keep in mind that by posting any content to the Forum, you are indicating that your submission is voluntary, that you are the sole owner of the content and that you give Canon USA unrestricted, royalty-free, perpetual rights to publish, use, publicly perform such content, or any idea contained therein, or any portion thereof, in any way, in any and all media now known or hereafter developed, without territorial time or other limitation, for commercial, advertising/promotional or any other purposes, without consideration to you.

5D III, 8-15L, TSE 24L, 24-105L, 85L, 70-200L, EX600 X2

2 REPLIES 2

cdn-bigfoot
Contributor

I believe the rule for this forum allows Canon to use any posted photographs as they see fit, but does not give them ownership. Much like facebook, twitpic and I believe Instagam just to name a few. What are the laws around ownership and license to original photographs in the USA.  There has been a recent change to the law in Canada in favour of the Photographer being the owner in perpetuity. 

A big win for photographers in Canada: as of today, you now officially own the copyright to all your photographs regardless of whether they were commissioned. The development comes as a result of Canada major copyright reform bill (Bill C-11) taking effect this morning. One of the stated goals of the new copyright law is to, “give photographers the same rights as other creators.”
Read more at http://www.petapixel.com/2012/11/07/canadian-photogs-now-officially-own-the-copyright-to-all-of-thei...

By the way.... If you posted photos and quickly had a change of heart and took them down doesn't mean they aren't still in the Canon forum database and can be used by them as stated.

@cdn-bigfoot wrote:

I believe the rule for this forum allows Canon to use any posted photographs as they see fit, but does not give them ownership. Much like facebook, twitpic and I believe Instagam just to name a few. 

Kind of, but when I post to my own Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram feeds, their terms of service still don't claim that they (these social media companies) can use my images / art / intellectual property (IP) for their own marketing however they see fit.  

On the otherhand, per Canon's forum terms, they can take images we post here, and use them, free and clear almost as a library of stock photos however they want for marketing campaigns, ads, etc... This is NOT a photographer-friendly policy.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements