cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Memory card (size & brand)?

zarif
Apprentice

What will be a good memory card for EOS camera mainly for still photos (no videos). Size & brand both.. I can find starting from $8 for 8GB to $50 for $16 GB etc with various brands/types?

Does it really makes a difference in photo quality or camera performance? Or just anyone is fine?

Thanks,

25 REPLIES 25

Thanks Brian- I'll look into that then- Although i do worry abotu bending a pin though by constantly removing the card- I've had it happen on my laptiop- and don't want it to happen to this $7000 camera- maybe I'm beign too leery of removign hte card- but

LJG
Contributor

Another Sandisk user here. I have never had one fail yet.

Cheers
Lloyd
5DII | 40D

zarif
Apprentice

There are two things I noticed after researching the forum and websites. When buying one should be careful of this:

1. The packing and advertisement can say one thing and the actual product inside maybe different:

See some reviews (you can reaserch more on amazon for similar reviews):

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-EXTREME-SDSDX-032G-X46-Newest-Version/product-reviews/B0077SCBGE/ref=c...

2. The same item name can have different models within it with varying features:

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-EXTREME-SDSDX-032G-X46-Newest-Version/dp/B0077SCBGE/ref=lh_ni_t

BestBuy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SanDisk+-+Extreme+32GB+Secure+Digital+High+Capacity+%28SDHC%29+UHS-I+Mem...

Looking into details you'll notice model# is different for the two. Its just an example but you can find many deals like these. So, just be wary of what you buy so that you get what you actually pay for.

Does the camera specify what's the maximum speed it can achieve for writing to SD card? This may ease the requirements to buy a particular card speed.

yeah it's pretty sad that advertisers intentionally make the wording confusing and usually in small oprint soemwhere obscure whgere you wouldn't excpect to find it- I've read of folks who thought they were buying udma 7 because the packaging and hte advertiusement made it look liek that's what was inside, but coem to find otu they ended up getting udma 6 cards instead- Especially frustrating is when someoen is lead to beleive they are buying a new lens only to find out the small print buried on page two in hte descriptions indicates it's actually a refurbished item- You've got to be carteful buying electronics it seems- these items are particularly confusing because htere's so much detail to sift through i nthe descriptions- That's why it's always a good idea to buy from big name places with rock solid return policies-

vchavez
Apprentice
Been a Sandisk customer always, just remember that Sandisk includes a lifetime warranty in some of their Pro or Extreme models. I got 2 months ago a problem with a Sandisk extreme SD I broke the plastic switch lock, contacted Sandisk in their webpage and and by phone got a free replacement, need to send by mail the old card before I get the new one.

thanks for the information
Announcements