cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting to know my 5D Mark II.

millerker
Apprentice

I want to understand more about my 5D Mark II and how it works.  I have read the manual which is very basic and done some searching on you tube for tutorials.  Can anyone recommend where I might find more in depth tutorials so I can understand the complexities of my camera more.  Thanks so much in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I'm not entirely certain if you're looking for a book on "photography" or if you're looking for a book at your specific "camera".

If for the camera, there are books like David Busch's Canon EOS 5D Mark II Guide to Digitial SLR Photography.   Think of the book as a more in-depth version of the owner's manual... it's going to describe the functions of that particular camera model in greater detail than the owner's manual that came with it.  But it's not a good book on "photography".

If you are looking for something to help with photography -- one of the most frequently recommended books is Bryan Peterson's book Understanding Exposure.  Peterson's book is not model-specific, but is a good primer in how "manual exposure" works.  There are lots of combinations of ISO sensitivity, shutter speed, and lens aperture setting which will result in the camera capturing a "correct" exposure -- but some settings will just look better than others.  Peterson's book helps you understand how all of that works and why you might choose a longers shutter exposure with a narrow aperture vs. a shorter exposure with a wider aperture depending on the creative intention behind the shot.

You wont learn photography in just one book and you also have to get out and practice to get everything to sink in.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hi Tim.

I want to know specifically about my camera.  I will have a look at David Busch's book.  Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kylie

amfoto1
Authority

If you do a search on Amazon for "Canon 5D Mark II", limited to the books section, you'll find David Busch's guide book, as well as other similar books, tutorial DVDs, shorter/smaller "field guides" and quick references. Busch's book is quite good, but some of others are probably equally helpful.

One of the most useful online tutorials is a three-part video on YouTube, posted by B&H Photo... A seminar about using  Canon autofocus systems, given by Rudy Winston a few years ago. Though he discusses various cameras, 5D Mark II is one of them. Highly recommended. The first of the three half hour videos is here.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Thanks amfoto.  I'll have a look at these.  Ta muchly.

Announcements