cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geo location

Skiingphil8888
Apprentice

Hi, sorry for what may be a old subject.

first, I’m new to DSLRs, having just been gifted a EOS 6d Mark II camera.

Id like to understand if the camera, and it’s wifi connection combination to a IOS smartphone allows the photos to be transferred to the smartphone with its longitude/latitude coordinates AND the more human understandable address or approx location eg using a smartphone to take a photo in the city of Basel, Switzerland, I’d like the camera or the image from the camera to achieve the same Basel tag....is it possible?

thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
I do not think this is possible. It might, I have doubts.

The GPS data is collected and stored in a separate file in the camera. With a computer, the EOS Utility transfers the image files to a computer.

To transfer GPS data, you must enable both creating GPS logs and transferring logs during downloads. It seems that this is when the EOS Utility must write the log data to EXIF during transfers.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The GPS coordinates are stored in the metadata file for the image. Certain software, such as Lightroom, has the ability to read that info and show it on a map. No special steps are required for that.

2018-12-18 (1).png

2018-12-18 (2).png

Canon provides a software product - Map Utility - which will show you the location on a map.

2018-12-18 (3).png

When you transfer your files to the iPhone I believe they will show up based on location in the Photos app. I transfer images to my iPad using the USB3 Camera Connection adapter; they go directly in Photos. I don't know if the Canon app does that directly. If not you should be able to copy to the iOS Photos app.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The meta-data in the image files is based on adhering to an industry standard called "EXIF".  This standard requires data to be in latitutde/longitude format.  EXIF isn't a "Canon" standard... it's a camera industry standard that all manufacturers use.

Any translation to city names is handled by software that imports the file, looks up the geo-coordinates, and determines what "city" is nearby.  But this is such a popular idea that loads of software applications do this for you.  (no need to modify the camera).  This is much easier to do on a computer.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements