cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS Time differing among cameras

JerseyPix
Apprentice

THis is driving me nuts. I have a 1DXII and 5D4 both using GPS to set the time. Its vital that I have both cameras synched as I use both to shot events, often going from one to the other and back very quickly. 

I have my time set via the GPS in both (set to "auto update"). Here's the kicker - the time is off by about 40 seconds between the two bodies. Any suggestions?

12 REPLIES 12

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

GPS uses time correction that is only as accurate as each time the receivier receives transmission from a sattelite.  Time sychonization in canon cameras depends on signals from a minimum for 4 or more sattelites, which is then averaged, and self correcting.  The more times it communicates, the more accurate time will be.

Switching a camera on and off means you are introducing delays in consistent communication.

Seems resonable for you to expect a 40 sec +/- variance when you are going back and forth beween bodys.  If you want accuracy, you'll have to turn GPS on and leave it running for the highest level of accuracy.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@JerseyPixwrote:

THis is driving me nuts. I have a 1DXII and 5D4 both using GPS to set the time. Its vital that I have both cameras synched as I use both to shot events, often going from one to the other and back very quickly. 

I have my time set via the GPS in both (set to "auto update"). Here's the kicker - the time is off by about 40 seconds between the two bodies. Any suggestions?

My suggestion would be to turn auto update off and use EOS Utility to synchronize both cameras to a computer. Camera clocks aren't infallible, and the two cameras are likely to drift apart. But I can't imagine that they'd drift apart by anything like 40 seconds during an average photo shoot.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

If I understand his post correctly, he is quickly switching between his body's. I suspect he's walking around grabbing whichever camera looks to be best for the shot he's trying to capture.  Curious to know if Bob's suggestion helps?

Since buying my 6D2, I always use GPS. I've been in the mountains and on flat ground without any terrain obstructions (above or off-axis). I've seen GPS acquire a signal in a little as 2 secs. Other times 30-40sec. until I got a lock. I'm less concerned with capturing time down to the sec, so GPS has worked very well for me.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

amfoto1
Authority

I use multiple cameras to shoot sporting events all the time.

I don't rely upon GPS (don't even know if my cameras have it).

Instead, a day or two prior to each event I simply connect each camera to my computer, start up EOS Utility (now set to start automatically as soon as the camera is connected and powered up), navigate to the day/date/time screen and click on "use computer clock" (or whatever it says to that effect).

This precisely sets all my cameras to the same time and keeps my images in perfect sequence when shooting the event.

I find that my cameras' clocks "drift" apart by a few seconds a week, so I try to do the above the day before the event.

I don't know if it's still the case, but one reason I don't use GPS at all is because on some cameras it seemed to heavily drain the batteries with constant power usage, even when the camera is powered down or in sleep mode. I also could care less if my images are "geo-tagged". I know where I shot them and may or may not want to reveal the location.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

this is a great idea!  That's just what I needed.  I wanted to rely on GPS  but it just doesn't cut it.  I had 2 Mark IV cameras shooting side by side in mode 2 with auto time set and one was an hour apart from the other one.  They were both set to the same time zone.  Crazy.

An hour apart almost seems like an issue with daylight savings time setting.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I'll doublecheck but when I looked before I thought they looked identical.  I agree though.

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

An hour apart almost seems like an issue with daylight savings time setting.

It is.  My cameras do not automatically switch to and from daylight savings time.  I have to go in and check/uncheck the box.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That was it.  One of them had the sunshine and one of them said off.  Thank you! 

Announcements