cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full frame Recomendation

chris1492
Contributor

I am new here and I don't really want to upset other Canon devotes. So don’t be offended.

I have been a Canon DSLR user since about 2003. Before that I shot with a (Loved) Nikon FM and a Cambo 4X5. I went with the Canon EOS 10D because I was told that it was more reliable than the equivalent Nikon. I had two 10D bodies die early. (The one I bought new and one used). Both Bodies had the same problem; they stopped communicating exposure information between lens and body. I have also read several on line reviews that listed other common defects.

I have now had a 7D about 2 ½ years. I have experienced a couple of aging problems.  I am needing to replace that camera with a full frame model. I am seeing on this site several defects in recently produced canon models.

I am considering getting a 5D III. This will be a considerable investment considering new glass. Are there systemic problems in Canon design / manufacturing? …. Would a Nikon D810 be a better investment? I can not afford to stop work and send a body back to be worked on....

7 REPLIES 7

cale_kat
Mentor
Do you really need a 5DIII, the 6D is a fantastic camera body and priced really well.

yes

If you need it then you've got your answer. Just saying...

Honestly, you sort of sound like you want to be talked out of it. If I could have afforded the 5Diii I'd have bought it.

If I am mistaken, forgive me, but this sounds like a trolling post.

If it is not, then just go Nikon next time. It won't be any more reliable but at least then you won't wonder anymore.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:
If I am mistaken, forgive me, but this sounds like a trolling post.

If it is not, then just go Nikon next time. It won't be any more reliable but at least then you won't wonder anymore.

I had a slightly different take on it, i.e. that the OP may be indulging in a bit of self-delusion. To me, "I can not afford to stop work and send a body back to be worked on" means "I do not have enough equipment to do my job properly." In that case I'd suggest that he keep his 7D and order the new 7D Mark II. The lower cost of the 7D2 (vs the 5D3), combined with the fact that he wouldn't need new lenses, should more than make up for the money he would've gotten for his 7D. And he'd no longer have to worry about not having a spare.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

And here is the real scoop.

In the beginning brand N was so poor, most all pro's switched to Canon.  The gap has since been reduced and in some areas brand N has better specs.  But a single spec, a camera does not make!  Nor lens for that matter.

I worked for a large company based in Kansas City that was 100% brand N, in the beginning, that switched to Canon when it also switched to digital.

Listed in order:

EOS 1Dx is the top of the line, as good as it gets.

EOS 5D Mk III is the intermediate model and the choice for a lot of FF shooters.

EOS 6D is the "Rebel" of Canon's FF line.   The 5D was just too expensive for the masses that wanted to get into FF.

If you are a serious pro wantabe than the 1Dx is your choice.  But if you are a semi-pro or advanced amature, you can't go wrong with the 5D.  If you just want FF performace but do not want to drop the dime on a camera get the 6D.

Oh, one thing for sure, once you go 1 series you will never go back!

Now why you want Canon today vs brand N.  Lenses man.  It is all about the lens.  Canon lenses are where it's at and you can not use a Canon lens if you get that other brand.  The lens makes the photo.  It is that simnple.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Skirball
Authority

The Nikon 810 and Canon 5d3 are completely different cameras.  If you can't decide between the two, perhaps you don't need either.

Announcements