cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full-frame Canon DSLR with continuous focus while recording video?

thegrindlab
Contributor

I am looking for a full-frame Canon DSLR with continuous focus while recording video that equals or surpasses the quality of the 70D. Can anyone make suggestions?

Thank you for any help.

-Moni

20 REPLIES 20

I looked into it, but it's also uses a crop sensor.

Are you looking for a particular depth of field? That is the only reason to go FF sensor.

I would just rent all the Canon FF cameras and buy the one that meets your needs. We don't claim to be video experts here. In fact, the rental company might be able to provide better advice than us, especially if they specialize in lens rentals, hint, hint.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Are you looking for a particular depth of field? That is the only reason to go FF sensor.

I would just rent all the Canon FF cameras and buy the one that meets your needs. We don't claim to be video experts here. In fact, the rental company might be able to provide better advice than us, especially if they specialize in lens rentals, hint, hint.

Depth of field is one reason. Better results in low light (and higher ISO) is another reason. Lastly, with what we shoot, though we can always step closer for a tighter shot, we cannot always step away from the subject to get the (slightly) wider shots we want.

@thegrindlab wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

Depth of field is one reason. Better results in low light (and higher ISO) is another reason. Lastly, with what we shoot, though we can always step closer for a tighter shot, we cannot always step away from the subject to get the (slightly) wider shots we want.

If you want a full frame sensor, and full time AF when shooting video, then you should be looking at the EOS-1D series, particularly the EOS-1D C, I suppose.  The 6D isn't well suited for video, and lacks the full time AF.  I do not believe the 5D3 has the full time AF, either.  So, that leaves just the 1D series, if you want a full frame sensor and continuous AF.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

If you want a full frame sensor, and full time AF when shooting video, then you should be looking at the EOS-1D series, particularly the EOS-1D C, I suppose.  The 6D isn't well suited for video, and lacks the full time AF.  I do not believe the 5D3 has the full time AF, either.  So, that leaves just the 1D series, if you want a full frame sensor and continuous AF.

Thanks again. That is very useful information I have not been able to find on my own.

@thegrindlab wrote:

Thanks again. That is very useful information I have not been able to find on my own.

Again, what is most important is the size of the pixels on the image sensor when it comes to IQ and ISO performance, not the overall size of the sensor.  The EOS 6D has had excellent low light performance because of the size of the pixels on its' image sensor.  The C100 has nearly the same size pixels, and a higher native ISO range.

As far as depth of field and angle of view goes, the wider the lens, the less DOF you may get because of the shorter hyperfocal distances that you can get with a full frame sensor.

@thegrindlab wrote:

I looked into it, but it's also uses a crop sensor.

It's the size of the pixels that make the difference.

The 80D uses pixel binning combining multiple image sensor pixels into one.

This is different than the 70D which used line skipping, effectively reducing the image sensor area in half.

According to page 4 of this article

http://learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/white_papers/White_Paper_35mmCMOS.pdf

,,, I believe the pixel pitch [for C100] is 6.4 micrometers, which compares to the EOS 6D at 6.55 micrometers.

@Waddizzle wrote:

So, what.  Did you know that many professional video cameras use more than one sensor, one for each primary color? 

Yes, I did know that.

Announcements