cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full-frame Canon DSLR with continuous focus while recording video?

thegrindlab
Contributor

I am looking for a full-frame Canon DSLR with continuous focus while recording video that equals or surpasses the quality of the 70D. Can anyone make suggestions?

Thank you for any help.

-Moni

20 REPLIES 20

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What is your budget?  Why a full frame DSLR?  Why not buy an actual video camera like a Canon EOS C100 Cinema EOS Camera with Dual Pixel CMOS AF?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

My budget is about $2k. I am interested in any model that works with my current lenses (all EF mount). Thanks for the reply.

@thegrindlab wrote:

My budget is about $2k. I am interested in any model that works with my current lenses (all EF mount). Thanks for the reply.

My advice hasn't changed.  Consider an EOS Cinema camera, which are priced 50% over your stated budget.  If video is your prime consideration, then you do not want a DSLR. 

DSLRs typically have CMOS sensors, which are good for capturing very high resolution images over a short period of time, just like a photograph.  They tend to quickly gather heat to the point of overheating and shutting down when used extensively for video.

Cinema cameras typically have CCD sensors, which are good for capturing accurate images shot over an extended period of time, just like a video.  They DO NOT have very high resolution, but which is more than adequate for video, and do not suffer from heat buildup.

Thank you for the advice. Since I already have DSLRs, I'll look into upgrading to an actual video camera.

@thegrindlab wrote:

Thank you for the advice. Since I already have DSLRs, I'll look into upgrading to an actual video camera.

The Canon EOS C100 Cinema EOS Camera with Dual Pixel CMOS AF is currently on sale at clearance pricing.

I'll begin the discussion by repeating the sound advice we usually give in response to that question: Get an actual Canon video camera. Professional requirements deserve professional equipment.

[Edit] I see Waddizzle beat me to it. No collusion there; most of us just think alike on this matter.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@thegrindlab wrote:

I am looking for a full-frame Canon DSLR with continuous focus while recording video that equals or surpasses the quality of the 70D. Can anyone make suggestions?

Thank you for any help.

-Moni

I don't follow video, but, have you looked onto the changes made in the 80D over your 70D?

Even a crop sensor dSLR has a huge sensor compared to dedicated video cameras.

@TTMartin wrote:

@thegrindlab wrote:

Thank you for any help.

-Moni

I don't follow video, but, have you looked onto the changes made in the 80D over your 70D?

Apparently the 80D does NOT do line skipping like the 70D, which means it will have a significant improvement in video quality.

@TTMartin wrote:

@thegrindlab wrote:

Thank you for any help.

-Moni

So, what.  Did you know that many professional video cameras use more than one sensor, one for each primary color? 

The model I cited has an ISO range from 320 to 80,000

Announcements