cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full frame 6d vs cropped 70d

rswannabe
Contributor

Hi guys,

I know there are several threads on here that compare these two cameras and I think I've made my mind up, but wonding if I could get a little more help. 

I'm upgrading from a T3i and was going to go to the 70d since it's the newest and seemed every bit as good as the 7d. Then, I got looking at the 6d and I'm thinking that might be the better way to go. I really don't care about shooting the highest quality video and I don't (or haven't yet) shot sports. I undterstand that the EFS lens's won't work with the 6d and I'm ok with that. Also, I would like to do this at least part time professionally.

Mainly I've been doing portraits and would like to do some landscapes. I guess my main questions are:

1-Are portraits going to be better with a full frame camera?

2-Would landscapes be any better with full frame?

3-Does the 6d have spot metering?

4-Is it true that the 6d doesn't have a pop up flash? That would mean I couldn't use my 430exII as a slave?

I think those are my main concerns. I would appreciate any feed back you guys have for me. Thank you! Robert

12 REPLIES 12

Thanks. Yeah, I'm mostly interested in portraits and some landscapes. Plus, I like the full frame idea. I think the 6d is the one! Thanks again!

@rswannabe wrote:
Hi mazer,

Thank you for the reply. That's actually very helpful. What is your opinion on the 6d's focusing system? That's the only thing that's holding me back. I saw a review that called it prehistoric. As I said, I don't do much vid or sports, but if the occasion came up is like to be able to handle it. Thanks again.

The AF performance of the 6D isn't near as bad as the online reputation suggests.  In fact, a good many of the griping about the 6D started before the camera was even released.  It's a simplistic system compared to what's available these days, and that sticks out on a camera of this calibre.  But it's been blown out of proportion.

I haven't had much issue with the AF.  But, like mazer, I don't shoot a lot of action.  I've done a bit here and there and it did ok.  The only time it really let me down was at the Tour de France.  But I was right on the fence and the cyclist were moving 30 mph a few feet from my lens.  I wasn't surprised by the keeper rate I got. 

I love the 6D for my primary shooting types: portraiture, architectural, RE, macro, travel, etc.

Thanks Alan Myers,

You have broken down to the simplest form for me and deciding whether to go FF or stay with my 70d. Most of my portraits are 11x16 and smaller which after post production my clients are extremely happy. Until I cross that bridge of larger prints and the budget for a FF camera I'm happy with my crop sensor camera.

Thank you

FotoGuy

Announcements