cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focussing issue with 5D Mark III

crockny
Enthusiast

I am using my relatively new 5D Mark III with my old 400mm 5.6 lens for bird photography.  It often will not grab focus.  I have to manually focus closer before it focuses.  It doesn't seem to matter which distance setting I use on the lens.

So I am missing quite a few bird shots.  I have no problem when using my old 7D.

I don't know if this is a full-frame issue, my particular copy of the camera issue, the combination of lens and camera, or something in my setup, even though I followed an online tutorial for setting up the 5D Mark III for bird photography.

Anyone have experience with this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

diverhank
Authority

I have the 5d3 and the 400mm f/5.6L and often shoot with the combo and I never had any problems like yours.  There is one thing you should check...the option called "Lens drive when AF impossible" -purple AF4 - make sure this option is set to ON:continue focus search.  Setting it to off will often stall the focusing

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

"... not when the difference is make or break getting a once in a season shot."

And who gives a ---- about battery life.  Take two batteries for pete's sake.  Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

And who gives a ---- about battery life.  Take two batteries for pete's sake.  Smiley Frustrated

Changing batteries takes time, too.  Smiley Wink  More time than nudging the lens. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Changing batteries takes time ..."

That's why most folks do it at home 'after' the shoot.  Not during the shoot.  Must be a trick to charge your battery in the field shooting a BIF.  You have my permission, nudge away!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Changing batteries takes time ..."

That's why most folks do it at home 'after' the shoot.  Not during the shoot.  Must be a trick to charge your battery in the field shooting a BIF.  You have my permission, nudge away!

Yup, I do it at home.  But, some guy just told me to do change them in the field.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Changing batteries takes time, too.  Smiley Wink  More time than nudging the lens. 

I'm not a fan of battery grips; but that, after all, is what they're for.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I'm not a fan of battery grips; but that, after all, is what they're for.

Yes, I use a grip.  AI Servo can consume batteries, too, at times.  I just feel that option to let the lens keep hunting for focus serves me no purpose.  [I have lost more shots than what I have gained from it.]

[EDIT]  I suspect Diverhawk has a valid point about the feature being outdated.  When it kicks in [continued focusing, or hunting IMHO], the lens is usually at a point where it isn't going to lock focus quickly

I most often have the issue when focusing on something small in the distance ...

It may be as simple as that ... I did the same experiment twice on static subjects and had trouble with my regular settings but not when I switched the "lens drive when AF impossible" to ON ... go figure. I know I changed this setting for a reason ... probably too much "hunting" at some point ...

@crockny wrote:
It may be as simple as that ... I did the same experiment twice on static subjects and had trouble with my regular settings but not when I switched the "lens drive when AF impossible" to ON ... go figure. I know I changed this setting for a reason ... probably too much "hunting" at some point ...

I hear ya about the too much hunting.  Exactly why I have it turned OFF.  I use the center point for focusing, with assist points when I use AI Servo.

BTW, I think your 400 f/5.6 can tolerate a 1.4x extender on a 5D3, provided you use the center AF point.  AF points have set upper limits on f/stop that they can still focus.  Some high end cameras can go to f/8.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@crockny wrote:

I hear ya about the too much hunting.  Exactly why I have it turned OFF.  I use the center point for focusing, with assist points when I use AI Servo.

BTW, I think your 400 f/5.6 can tolerate a 1.4x extender on a 5D3, provided you use the center AF point.  AF points have set upper limits on f/stop that they can still focus.  Some high end cameras can go to f/8.

Turning this option on does not affect hunting at all in my experience. This option is designed for larger lenses not the 400/5.6. Even for the 600 f/4, it never hunts. Personally that option is out dated, designed for old super teles. All it does now is stalling your focusing

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements