cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus problem???

Marci
Contributor

I have an EOS 5d Mark IV camera with a Tamron maco. It's been working great for the last year I've been using them. In the last 2 days, as I'm photo'g still shots, it acts like it's having trouble focusing. I get a "clunk" sound following by "chattering" with a AI servo flashing in the viewfinder. I've search the web for any hints, cleaned the lens connection, then reset everything back to default settings. It's still happening. Any thoughts?

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Does it work with another lens?

Yes, it worked fine with another lens. This issue does not happen with every shot with the macro. I haven't figured out if there''s a pattern; it seems quite random.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I've ..., cleaned the lens connection, then reset everything back to default settings"

Yeah, neither of those two things will help.  Cleaning the contacts is just a feel good I did something.  Actually you can do more damage to them than any benefit you get.  Since it is a Tamron resetting the camera probably won't help any more than just turning it off and back on.

If I were you, I would call Tamron.  It sounds like a total lens failure is in your future.  Canon can not help you with this and would instruct you to stop using the Tamron, so call Tamron.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Quite possibly a failure, but 1. does it do it in Single Shot, 2. when in AI Servo are you at a distance where it should focus (i.e. not to close?). AI Servo never locks focus like Single Shot; it keeps actively calculating on the subject.

Does the lens has image stabilizer or vibration control feature? If so, switch it off (if its on).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes, it does it in Single Shot. I turned off VC and it stopped. Sounds like it could be a VC issue with the lens. I appreciate your help in ID'g this problem. Looks like the next step is to contact Tamron.

"Looks like the next step is to contact Tamron.'

Now you'er talking!  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements