cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus problem with 7D

paulinithaca
Apprentice

I've been usinging a pair of 20D's for a long time and wanted an upgrade. I purchased a used EOS 7D  from a dealer. Lens is EFS 17-85. My problem is the images are not comming out sharp. It's not the lens, the same lens on my 20D makes nice images. I've tried searching this problem online, I've tried the micro focusing which didn't solve the problem.  Any advice on what might be the issue?

fuzzy.jpg

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Does it focus properly when you use Live View?

When you say you microfocus adjusted and it didn't work - do you mean you couldn't find a setting that gave proper focus?

How did you try microfocusing? Did you use the 45 degree ruler method?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Take a picture in RAW and vew the focus point to make sure that what you are really looking where the camera is focusing.

Does it focus in live view?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Try resetting the camera.  Be sure to clear custom controls, and any custom buttons, too.

If there is still time, take it back to the dealer, and ask them about it.  Maybe they can test another lens on it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@paulinithaca wrote:

I've been usinging a pair of 20D's for a long time and wanted an upgrade. I purchased a used EOS 7D  from a dealer. Lens is EFS 17-85. My problem is the images are not comming out sharp. It's not the lens, the same lens on my 20D makes nice images. I've tried searching this problem online, I've tried the micro focusing which didn't solve the problem.  Any advice on what might be the issue?

fuzzy.jpg

A couple things, first if NOTHING is sharp in the photo it is usually not a focus issue.

Second, looking at images on your 20 megapixel 7D at 100% is like looking at the 8 megapixel images of your 20D at 150 to 200%.

That image does look pretty soft though. 

paulinithaca
Apprentice

I haven't shot in live view. With the microfocusing I did the moire test I found online. I have also tried a friends suggestion of using a single point for focusings. Photos I took afterwords showed a slight improvement, but it tells me if it was a paying shoot, stick to the 20D. 

ww5.jpg

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If that's a 100% shot there is something definitely wrong. Go back to dealer and have him check it.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
If that's a 100% shot there is something definitely wrong. Go back to dealer and have him check it.

Agreed, last person with that problem found out their internal anti-aliasing filter had come loose. 

Announcements