cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus point(s) not showing up on image review (focus issue)????

Maria
Enthusiast

Hi Folks,

Hoping someone can help me figure out why i'm having focus issues.  Typical example is that i take some shots and of say 20 only 10 are in focus.  Granted the lens i used in my last test is front focusing and i will have it adjusted but still something is up. 

When i review the images on the camera LCD on one image it shows me where it focused (the little red box shows in the review).  On the other image (the one that is in focus) it is not showing it.  So wondering if maybe i switched focus points and one happens to be better (yes i know center is best but trying to figure out if that is my issue).

In what situation would the focus point NOT show up when reviewing an image on the LCD?

When I look at the EXIF data for the images they are almost identical - only difference is that one was shot at ISO 200 and one at ISO 250 - that should make no difference in focus.

Used a Canon 6D and Canon 70-200 f/4 lens.  Shooting in Manual Mode, settings were 1/500, f/4 ISO 200/250 both shot at about a focal length of 100mm, subject is in the same spot just turned a slightly before taking the shot.  I have inlcude examples (zoomed in to show the difference):focus2.jpg

focus1.jpg

and here is the full image SOOC (RAW image convereted to JPG, no adjustments made) of the one that looks in focus.

focus3.jpg

25 REPLIES 25

Maria
Enthusiast

Does anyone know when the focus points do not show up when reviewing an image on the LCD?

Here is the menu setting that enables AF point display during playback

6D_Playback_AF_Points.PNG

You can also use Canon's DPP, Digital Photo Professional, software to display AF points during editing and processing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Has anyone got this to work? I just enabled it on my T6S and got nothing, and I tried all the various views, including the full information one.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Has anyone got this to work? I just enabled it on my T6S and got nothing, and I tried all the various views, including the full information one.

Are you using AI Servo mode?  The AF point display shows the focus point that was actively locked in at the moment the shutter was activated.  Try taking a photo in One Shot mode, and see if the AF point shows up.  Manually select the center AF point, when you do.

No, I was using One Shot, and there were many focus points active. I will try to select one point, but I hope that does not make a difference.

Can you see focus points on your LCD during image playback?

@kvbarkley wrote:

No, I was using One Shot, and there were many focus points active. I will try to select one point, but I hope that does not make a difference.

Can you see focus points on your LCD during image playback?

I do see the active AF point, as a red square, during playback, and it appears in all playback modes.  I am not using a T6s. 

The 6D and 7D2 have a similar menu selection and I do manually select the the center point, which is what I typically use at all times when shooting handheld.  I'm not typically shooting action photos, either.

Remember, it is not a display of whether or not, or where, the camera is focused.  It is displaying the active AF point at the moment the shutter fired.  It is not always necessary, or required, that an AF point be actively locked when the shutter fires.

{EDIT]  Take a static shot in green square mode.  That should definitely lock in and display.

I tried again. I don't use back button focus, so that is not the problem. I was in one shot, center point, but could still not see the focus point on playback. The only odd thing was that I was in "flicker" mode since it was indoor under the flourescents. I will try it outdoors today.

The OP hasn't said whether they are using BBF or not.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I tried again. I don't use back button focus, so that is not the problem. I was in one shot, center point, but could still not see the focus point on playback. The only odd thing was that I was in "flicker" mode since it was indoor under the flourescents. I will try it outdoors today.

The OP hasn't said whether they are using BBF or not.

Hmm.  Flicker might have something to do with AF points being "active" when the shutter fires.  An outdoor shot, one shot mode, A or P mode [you know the drill] should make something show up.

Check out this screenshot from a Lightroom plug-in that displays AF points.  Check out the legend. 

6D_FocusPointDisplay_Lightroom6.PNG

The points can appear in one of four different states. 

[EDIT] Here's a sample AF point display from a different shot. 

6D_FocusPointDisplay_Lightroom6_2.PNG

The center AF point had been manually selected, acquired a target, and maintained a locked focus state when shutter fired.

Announcements