cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focal issues with 24-105 L lens on 7D

Tamiww
Apprentice

Recently purchased a 24-105 L lens for my 7D and have found that in many photos are out of focus.  Shot a group yesterday and took over 50 photos.  Although the photos look o.k. when you get up close it seems nothing in the entire photo is sharp.  Is anyone else having this issue and is there a fix? 

11 REPLIES 11

ScottyP
Authority

Mine is really very sharp on my 6D. 

1.)  What other lenses have you shot with that you feel are working better for you? 

2.)  About this group shot:  How big a group, and how bright or dim was it, and especially, what aperture were the shots taken?  It can be impossible to get a whole group in focus if you are shooting at f/4. 

If you can shoot at f/8 or f/11 and you still have enough light to keep the shutter speed over 1/100th, it would give you more keepers.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks for the info. It was only a group of 3 and yes mostly shot at F4.  I cannot find anything in the entire photo that is sharp though.  Maybe the shutter speed just is not fast enough as they were all under 1/100.  Thanks again for the insight, very helpful!

How many in the group and what was your F stop?

Lens elements could be decentered or require significant AFMA. I would do some testing and if necessary contact Canon Support. It took me two copies to get a good one.

This is all new to me, can you describe how to test?

On the road typing on a small portable device. If you can give me a couple of days, I can email you some substantial info on how to test.

Info on testing would be fantastic, thank you very much.  Also will do some test shots with IS off to see if it helps.  Thanks everyone for the help..much appreciated!

Haven't forgot about you, still stuck on the road. If I recall I have some good testing links on my PC when I get home. Maybe someone can beat me to the punch and provide that sooner.

Check out theinformation here on how to isolate which problem you may have.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=857871

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements